Screen protector necessary iPhone 4???

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iphone529, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2007
    So with the new material used for the screen. Is in necessary for a screen protector?

"All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable."
  2. macrumors 68000

May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    Regardless, I can't stand Apple's glossy screens. I'll be hoping for a Power Support Anti Glare film for the front and back shortly after the launch :)
  3. macrumors demi-god

Jul 24, 2009
    I've never used a screen protector and never suffered with a scratched screen. Some forget it's glass not plastic. Providing you don't pocket it with your keys your going to be fine.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2007
    They did say that the screen has anti glare built in also.
  5. macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2010
    I would, don't really care about the outer casing but the screen is important.

Just put it on and rest easy.
  6. macrumors 68000

May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    When it comes to :apple:, I'm not holding my breath. I saw the fingerprint magnet that is the black iPhone4 on the engadget gallery ;) It was pretty gross.
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2009
    but what if I DO?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Just get one and put it on anyway...why take the chance? And its not like its expensive to buy one too.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2008
    Northern NJ
  10. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    Every time Apple releases an iPhone they go on about how scratch resistant the screen is. This is followed by people on this board saying they won't need a screen protector.

Then someone does the impossible and scratches the screen from normal use and then others will say, "why didn't you get a screen protector".
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2009
    I saw those pics on Engadget too. They look pretty filthy. Not attractive at all. You'll prolly need a bottle of windex with you at all times with the new phone.
  12. macrumors 68040

May 14, 2008
  13. macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I have always been a fan of and have their skins on my original iPhone, iPhone 3G, aluminum MacBook and iPad. But I always bought the back only skin as I never put those skins on my screen. They have a great tacky grip to them but I don't like that on my screen. In the past I used a PowerSupport Crystal Film on my iPhone and iPhone 3G, but then took it off the 3G because what I realized was that the screen is extremely scratch resistant. My phone goes in my pocket, no case, skin on the back only and looks brand new 2 years later. I'd get some resale if the 8GB 3GS wasn't so cheap. I don't think you will need a film for the front or back glass and I certainly wouldn't put an InvisibileShield or any other tacky grip 3M skin on the glass given how clear the Retina display is suppose to be. Anti-Glare and other screen protectors and screens are known to cause fuzzyness and lose optical quality as a trade off to protection and glare reduction. Considering that the new glass front and back on the iPhone 4 is suppose to be even better engineered, I think this phone was truly designed to be a naked use phone. Even Apple's bumper cases look like they are aimed soley at providing some drop protection to the clumsy hearted.
  14. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2009
    As of a couple months ago I removed the screen protector from my 3GS. It's so much prettier. I understand the nervousness people have about scratching their screens, but it is truly a durable screen that takes some effort to mess up. I also feel it almost takes away from the beauty of the iPhone when you put rather unnecessary protectors and cases on it.

I'll probably go naked on the iPhone 4, too. It just looks so much cooler when you do ;)
  15. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2008
    I guess people forget that iPhone 4's glass is not the same as the one on 3GS, that is:

We'll most likely see some iPhone 4 torture test videos after it's released. So, you can all decide after watching those.
  16. macrumors 68040

Aug 28, 2009
    Probably not, but I just got a free Zagg Full Body easy install! It will probably go on my fiancée's iPhone 4. I like mine naked.

Just happened to see the coupon on twitter!
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2008
    Ann Arbor
    Agreed. I've tried a few different cases (including the invisible shield) and I much prefer to not have one. I haven't had any problems with scratches on the screen and sometimes cases will actually scratch the back if you forget to clean out the dust.
  18. macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2010
    Personally; yes. May as well.
    If the clarity is a concern; I've found the powersupport crystal to be near identical to the original glass; if it wasn't for the fine line marking the edge, you wouldn't know it's there. Came in a pack of 2; the other an anti-glare. But I have to say I have no problem using a phone with a non-matt screen - it's not like you can't adjust the relative position easily!
  19. macrumors 68030

Nov 20, 2008
    I'm ordering the invisible shield today. I may or may not get a bumper case depending if I like that as well.

I like how the iPhone looks naked, and the invisible shield should do the trick.. Hope I don't drop it.. Haven't dropped my 3G or my 3GS in 2 years.
  20. macrumors 603

Oct 28, 2007
    For those of you concerned about fingerprints, consider getting the white because it won't show them as much.
  21. macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2010
    That's one particular advantage of the new iPhone; flat surfaces!
    I tried 3 different stick-on skin protectors for my 3G, and all tended to peel at the curves, and catch grime in the many cuts and joins; the moulded PowerSupport part suits me better due to this, but it's noticeably more like a case than a film (b'cos it is!)

I've always had a white iPhone, and I must admit fingerprints haven't been a concern on the back... Can be annoying on the screen tho.
  22. macrumors 68000

Nov 13, 2007
    US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
    If you get a case that covers ANY amount of the glass, which is the front and back of the phone now, you will want a screen protector. I use a countour case on my 3Gs, and it can get stuff stuck between the glass and the case. This has cause a couple tiny pockmarks on my glass around the home button. The usable screen is still perfect without a protector after 14 months, so in general, yes, the glass is very scratch resistant.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2009
    I didn't use a case for the first-gen iPhone, never had a scratch on the front or back.

I have used a silicon case for both my 3G and 3GS with no screen protector. 21 months after buying my 3G, the screen was flawless. 3 months after buying my 3GS, the screen is flawless.

I'll probably buy one of Apple's Bumper's for the 4G, but do without any screen protection, I've never needed it.
  24. macrumors 68040

Jun 6, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    Could you share the details? :)
  25. macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010
    FYI: The new screen(front and back) has an anti-smudge coating... it's thin, but it's not glass. This material will scratch before the glass does.