Screen protector necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UmaThurman, Nov 8, 2006.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2006
    Hi y'all, i've decided on getting a tom bihn vertical brain cell to carry my mbp to and from school, but a friend told me that i should invest in a screen protector b/c the keyboard can get very hot and damage the screen when closed. Is this true? He reccomended radtech's screen savr for the job. :confused:
  2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005

No, you don't need a screen protector. I've owned many laptops in my days, everything from an iBook G4 (not the coolest around, especially with hard drive right under the palm rest) to the inferno Compaq AMD Athlon that was a real scorcher. I've never had any problems with the heat from the computer damaging the screen. I would power off and close the lid. Never any worries. However, closing the lid and still running the computer with an external display is another story......but I still think it wouldn't damage the display at all.
  3. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    yes - I think they are necessary

Most ppl who use their portables in the field - can't always find a way to wash their hands before use - so a screen protector ensures that those oils from the palm-rest or keyboard don't get absorbed onto the screen.

Like anything - eg some ppl don't wax their cars to protect them - all depends on how you prefer to treat your things

Edit: I don't understand hodgyj's reference to heat issues with a screen protector... I recommend the radtech ones - but there are many out there that would be just as good I'm sure
  4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    The Powerbooks and MacBook Pros keys can touch the screen, transferring dirt/oils to the screen and leaving marks. Although removable (mostly), it's annoying. I've used a leather screen protector between screen and keys since my first TiBook 500. The aluminum Powerbooks are pretty much the same clearance (which is also same design as MBP). I'd recommend it.

They're called Laptop Screen Protector and OWC sells them. There are other types out there, but I like this, personally. Stays clean and is durable.

Note this doesn't have anything to do with heat.
  5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    I think I misunderstood the OP's meaning of screen protector. I thought the OP was talking about putting a film on the screen to protect it (against heat when closing the display lid). I voted against that as I absolutely do not like those.

The use of a (spacer) protector while traveling is certainly something to look in to.

I used a Lajo keyboard protector on my iBook and never had any heat problems from heat not being able to escape through the keyboard. Perhaps the OP was thinking about something like this?
  6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    There is no need to get a screen protector. I have a keyboard protector that sits on the keyboard and protects against spills, etc. which offers some protection. However, even without one, it stil isn't necessary. The way the laptop is designed, you would need to put significant pressure on the top of the screen while closed in order for the keys to touch the screen. The screen is slightly recessed which prevents it from contacting the keyboard in normal operations.
  7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Actually, I looked at my 17" tonight, and just the pressure of your palm when carrying is enough. Never really looked before, but I did try it without when I first got the machine, as it was a different case than the titanium. It wasn't long before I could see some patterns of keys in the screen. Nothing that wouldn't clean, tho.

I doubt it would hurt anyway just to use the machine without, and see how it goes.

Guess there are personal preferences here, but it's so easy to open the screen, grab the leather protector (or whatever type) and set it aside, or drop in bag.

sounds like a subject for another poll..... ;)
  8. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    I hate to bring back an old thread but I'm in the market for a screen protector.

Those who have bought a CLEAR screen protector that clings to the MB, where did you buy it? I know about screen saverz but that is not what I am looking for.

9. Joony macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2005
    I think a keyboard protector would be a nice investment. Pretty darn cheap at $10 to save your screen when it's closed.

The keyboard on my old Dell Latitude D600 would make marks on the screen if I had it closed and move around quite a bit. I suppose the pressure of being squished in a bag is too much!

I got mine here.

I like the squishy feel of the MBP keyboard now!
  10. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Well the keyboard protector I have now is the iSkin. I might just use the film that was between the screen and keyboard when I opened the MB for the first time...:(
  11. tylerboyo macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    Cardiff, UK
    I have a radtech one. Although im sure you could cut up an old shirt, or t shirt, and just clean it before putting in your laptop when its closed.
  12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I guess I'm lucky that my iBook display has a slight curve in it and that it doesn't hit the keys when closed that much. In fact, I've never noticed any key marks on the screen.

But yea, I'd at least get something to set over the keys if you're worried about it.
  13. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    i dont know if the heat damages the screen but screen protectors protect against scratches and can sreve as a cleaner. plus its only like 15 dollars for peace of mind (even if you dont need it). I own the radtech screen savrz and they're good.
  14. Philscbx macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007
    Mpls Mn
    Screen Protection

Ok, here's the deal on iskin or what ever it was called sold at Apple that covers the keys perfectly on the Powerbook.

Even the tech at the store said don't use it. She claimed it will leave marks on the screen. Yeah Right.

Well guess what?
    During a six month tour to Europe, I just happen to open the screen while the sunlight came across it at an angle, and sure enough, the entire screen is pock marked from the key board protector. Badly marked.

Take a close, a real close look at the design of the top side of the skin. It's molded with high point edges at every key that rub on the screen.

If you want to use it, don't travel with it.
    While at the desk, it can keep cookies and coffee from terroristic attempts.

It took a lot of work, but talk about bummed at first when You've just invested over 3 grand.

My advice if traveling, use nothing, or lay a soft cloth across the keys. The clearance is very tight on PowerBook. Now you have to be careful where you set the cloth so you don't bring dirt into machine.

With laptop off, and a link free cloth, dampen with alcohol and wipe keys down to remove oil and dirt. Once a week or month. Basic rubbing alcohol at .80 a jug.