Screen protector or no?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by chriskzoo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2005
    I can't see being able to get a good screen protector on there without any bubbles, so I'm going with no and just hoping to pickup the Apple case.
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    No. Mine is just going to be used around the house and I'll get the Apple case. that's all.
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 2, 2008
    I'd like to get one that doesn't show fingerprints. the one I have for the iphone is amazing, hardly ever shows fingerprints
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2007
    No, I prefer the direct tactile feel of glass
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    I don't see the need for a screen protector on the iphone and definitely not the ipad.

I have had an iphone for 2 years. I don't have a case or screen protector for it, and carry it around all the time in my jeans pocket. My iphone screen has no scratches on it, at least none that I can see without taking a magnifying glass to it. I think the screens are made to be almost scratch resistant.

I'm assuming the ipad screen is the same and since most people won't carry it around or abuse it as much as an iphone, I think its even less as risk for scratches.

Therefore, don't bother with a screen protector. The screen is extrememly durable and I doubt you will have any problems.
  7. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I however, didn't like the tactile feel of that anti-fingerprint coating so I put on a protector.
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2007
    my iphone took the beating on pocket with keys but still no scratch. common sense, can you put the ipad on your pocket? if not, stay away from those screen protectors...

im assuming they have the same glass
  9. macrumors 6502a

Sep 1, 2009
    I had one on my iphone & it has saved me from getting a broken screen. so I'm getting one for my iPad. Plus, I rather be safe than sorry. I live with my cousin, his wife & their 2 yr old son. He puts the tsunami to shame & has a way of wrecking things.
  10. macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2009
    To your question, Apple says NO. They cleared out the screen protectors from their store.

I would recommend an anti-glare one (I can't remember the brand), they come in olive packaging. Any bubbles disappear within a day or two and you have a layer that you clean the screen first with. It's a bit pricey, but if you get a protector, get those!
  11. macrumors 6502

Dec 27, 2009
    Sandhills Area, North Carolina
    None for me. I use them for my iPhone, but I feel pretty sure I don't really need to. I want to feel casual and up-close with my iPad, really use it instead of treat it like something fragile. I think it's a rugged device with that scratch-proof glass.
  12. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The glass might be scratch proof, but I have my doubts as to whether the coating is.

That being said, its not pocketable so I think it will be fine if you keep it in a sleeve while not is use.
  13. macrumors 65816

Apr 18, 2007
    I don't have a screen protector on my iPhone, and it's as good as new. It goes in and out of my pocket all day, have dropped it several times, and accidentally slid it against my car keys. The only protection is my Incase
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2010
  15. macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I was in the Staten Island Apple Store today and they still had screen protectors and cases that came with screen protectors available for purchase.
  16. macrumors 68000

Sep 18, 2009
    I pre-ordered the Phantskinz screen only iPad protector. For those that don't know, Phantomskinz is similar to Zagg's Invishield. I've tried Zagg's version and it felt thick and tacky, definitely not good for a touch screen. I now have a Phantomskin on my Palm Pre (almost a year) and it's completely smooth, great touch screen experience. I also think the application on the Phantomskinz is better than the spray bottle application Zagg uses.

I only ordered the screen protector since the back will be protected by a case (Yet to be determined). I also obtained a discount code that took 25% off, so the price was only $13.95 after shipping.
  17. macrumors 603

Jun 4, 2007
  18. macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2003
  19. macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2009
    My mistake, I meant the online store. It was a news article on MR a few days ago. I suppose, eventually Apple Stores will follow.