Screen quality on Macbook & Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by barnettgs, Dec 12, 2006.

1. barnettgs macrumors member

Hi, I'm planning to buy macbook for use with dreamweaver & firework for web design and Nikon View for photo editing.

I heard that there will be updated Intel chipset version & intergrated graphic but that will be released on April 2007 as planned so no point in waiting for it...

I'm just wondering if anyone have seen the difference in screen quality between macbook and macbook pro in term of viewing angle?

And also is intergrated graphic good enough for photo raw files? Is 13" big enough for me?

Just curious to know the feedback before I can make up my mind. Thanks in advance! :)

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you can, get an external display.

Assuming you need a laptop for portability that would be the best way to handle it. The GMA is enough to handle photo editing, the RAW files are just 2D, the CPU comes into play more than the graphics. If you are going to run Aperture you will take a hit in performance since it is a beefy app and moe graphically intensive than say iPhoto.

13" is probably not big enough. You will find yourself cramped, at least I know did on a 12" iBook and 15" PB. An external display at 20"+ is a must if you are serious IMO.

It is something you could save for. The 13" will get you by, but I am sure you will start to feel cramped later.

As far as viewing angle, I am not sure. THe glossy of the Macbook might hurt that. I doubt you will lose much if you move a few degrees off if that is what you want to know.

Good luck.

3. barnettgs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I already have Dell 2007WFP which I use with desktop PC. Will Macbook GMA 950 graphic cope with 1680x1050?

If not, I may have to go for 15" Macbook Pro - for £470 (around $900) more than mid-range Macbook (2.0Ghz & 1GB ram). It is such a big price leap, I'm not sure why but maybe it has better quality screen etc? This is making it difficult for me to decide on!

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Of course the Macbook will handle the 20" display! People are so hung up on the GMA950 as if it's a crappy chip or something. It's NOT -- it's just not designed for gaming. You could hook a 24" display up to the Macbook if you wanted to and it would be fine.

Also, if you're going to use Dreamweaver and Fireworks (as least the current version -- the UB of them will be out with Adobe CS3 in a few months, hopefully) -- 1GB RAM may not be enough. I have 1GB in my iMac, and I use Fireworks daily, and it is sluggish because of the Rosetta translation eating up my RAM. I'm upgrading to 2GB as soon as Christmas is over with. Of course, if you can't afford 2GB right now I'm sure you can make it until CS3 is out.

5. hqsbud macrumors member

Regarding the comparison of MBP and MB screen viewing angles, I have a glossy Core 2 Duo MBP, and my daughter has a Core Duo MB. I find the viewing angle and screen evenness of the MBP to be considerably better than the MB. I posted these two photos to another thread to compare. Incidentally, on the one with the photo of the horse, I stupidly used an image which had vignetting on it, so it looks like the screen is unevenly lit. But it's just the photo.

Attached Files:

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow, hqsbud, those are fantastic comparison pics. I can't believe the two glossy screens are that different. The MBP looks great...but I thought the MB looks pretty good in real life too.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think the screen comparisons between MBP and MB are similar to the ones between PB and iBook. There is the reason MB is cheaper than MBP as I am sure Apple uses better quality screen for MBP.
    Speaking of the screen, I read an article on Business Week about the possible rigging of the LCD market by major players in the industry. http://www.businessweek.com/investo...p+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives

8. lha72 macrumors member

MBP Screen Lighting

HQSBUD,

Thanks for posting the images. Looks like you have the same issue with your MBP as I have with mine - I have uneven lighting on my C2D MBP, with bright bands along the top and bottom inch of the screen, and the rest of the screen darker. I have the 17" C2D MBP, and the difference in lighting along the screen is very noticeable. I spoke with a rep at my local Apple store and she told me to bring it in for an evaluation - I'll wait until after the Christmas shopping madness to do so.

9. barnettgs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for comparison of MB and MBP screens...the difference is bigger than I expected but for extra £470...damn! Made my decision even harder!

MacBook Pro 15" is only couple of inches bigger and better viewing angle...but I have never seen anyone complaining about lack of viewing angle on macbook. I suppose I should be ok with macbook...hmmmm

10. EricChunky macrumors regular

I can already see the light leak coming out from the bottom of MBP's screen...

Apple really make crappy laptops now.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Just curious what is the size of your Macbook Pro? Mine will colour shift to oblivion if I look down at it from the top like your photo.

12. hqsbud macrumors member

It's the 15".

13. hqsbud macrumors member

In real life, you can see light leaking at tiny bit if you look for it and you're looking at more than a 45° angle from straight on. I don't work at a greater than 45° angle, so I don't care.

On the MacBook, I find the screen completely unacceptable for photo work, as the unevenness and color shift is very obvious, at least when the screen is cold. It either gets better as it gets warmer, or I'm getting used to it (doubtful). But my daughter doesn't do photo work, so she doesn't care.

14. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You cannot compare the screen size in inches, compare it with the resolution. The resolution is higher on the MBP thus better suited for photoediting.

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I've owned an MBP and sold it to get a MB.

While I've never done a side by side comparison, I honestly notice no difference. Neither had an overly impressive viewing angle range and both were/are bright and vivid. They were both glossy screens too.

Also, my MB is connected up to a 20" Apple display at the moment and runs like a dream.

16. barnettgs thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I didn't refer to resolution because all Apple laptops have similar pixels per inch (around 110-113 DPI?) so no point in comparing resolution. I just commented on having extra 2 inches of screen size.

nomad01, just curious to know why you have sold your MBP? It's only slightly bigger in size than MB?

17. djkny macrumors 6502

My sentiments, exactly. That's why, after a month of use, I returned my MPB Core 2 Duo and convinced the reseller from which I bought it to return my my $1800.

Either apple shapes up and updates the MBP soon, or, I'm springing for the cheapest MacBook + 20" LCD now and using any leftover $$$ on nice accessories.

18. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I don't know about newer Intel laptops but you're definetely wrong on the "all Apple laptops" statement, since a 12" iBook and a 14" iBook has the same resolution :) .

The resolution reference would have been more precise either way. Just say I am right and let me bask in my glory of being right on the internet ;)

19. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yeah it's not a huge difference but just enough to make it a bit more portable and more importantly, it's a bit more rugged. MBPs dent/bend easier. Not that they're like play-doh but the MB feels a bit sturdier.

20. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Compared to my 12" PB, the new MBPs feel like Play-doh. I've dropped my PB from 3ft. (tabletop) onto a cement floor right on the top left corner and it did absolutely no damage. Not even a scratch. A friend's 15" MBP bumped some stairs while still in his hands and there is a golfball sized dent in the side. Mine would have taken the hit like a champ.

The build quality is what is really worrying me about upgrading since the MB just is not an option. I don't feel the build quality on the MB is up to par with the old PBs either. I've seen a couple and they just have weird issues with the trackpad and bezel and such. (Of course the owners are new switchers and think they are the greatest ever and don't know any better.)

21. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well, I previously owned a 12" PB and briefly a 15" PB. I can't say I noticed much difference between them and the MBPs. The 12" seemed more sturdy as it was a bit thicker. I've not dropped any of them so far though so I can't say.

My black MB feels comfortably sturdy, handles everything I need as well as my MBP did and its a bit more portable. Taken some to and fro to get here but finally happy with the choice... for me.

22. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I'd say the 12" is more sturdy because aluminum is a soft metal, and a large sheet of it is more susceptible to bends and stuff than a smaller piece.

I beg to differ on the PB/MBP comparison though, I find the MBP to be sturdier than my previous PB in many respects, except for the battery compartment which they have since shifted to the middle of the machine. Very often when I grip the mac in my hand I feel the battery creaking in my grip, not very assuring there.

hqsbud, I think your photos explain why you have no issues with your screen. Mine is the matt version, and the viewing angles are nowhere as good as yours. The glossy ones are truly fantastic.

23. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

That is a good point. I have spent time with only 2 1st-gen MBPs and both were a little wonky. The aluminum is definitely thinner and flexes a lot more. Also, both had weird issues with the lid bowing up right over the superdrive when closed.

It just didn't feel right, personally. Of course, they both could have been lemons.