screen question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by uhlawboi80, Sep 15, 2002.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

my TiBook is about oh...20 days old and i was running a program that had alot of black window backs and for the first time i noticed...why yes, i have like 4 or 5 dead pixels...is this common on these and i should just get over it? or do i need to demand a new one? im not to aware of hardware things..is this an indication of a bad monitor that may just get worse? advice and suggestions welcomed:(

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

4 or 5 dead pixels is unacceptable....call applecare and get that thing fixed.

3. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

um i just ran along the screen with a black window...its actually 8 and one is noticable with any background...actually looks like 2 together!
    i think i am calling apple tommorow

thanx for the advice though

4. iGav macrumors G3

Call them up, and tell them you want a new screen pronto........ I was told by Applecare that they consder replacement only if you have more than 3 dead or stuck pixels...... (dead being little greyish black ones, stuck shine in either red, green or blue).......

the first screen I had on my TiBook came with 2 stuck pixels...... and then another died...... and after a few months I was working on a black piece of artwork and I noticed a cluster of them.... wham.... smack in the centre of the screen...... atleast 60 of the things...... probably alot more if I could have been bothered to count them all......

Dead or stuck pixels are so annoying.......

It only took Apple a couple of MONTHS to replace my screen :rolleyes:

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Apple considers 4 dead pixels acceptable from what my rep told me, I think thats a little high but companies like toshiba will go up to 8-9 before replacing a screen so i guess apple is ahead of the game here. I know cuz on my 15 studio display i had a dead pixel and apple wouldnt replace, tho for what i paid for that thing i ought to have no dead pixels, you pay upwards of $200 extra for the apple lcd display vs. a "pc" lcd display, my new imac has 2 dead pixels and apple says thats still acceptable, they are annoying but i guess thats the price we pay untill lcd costs can drop more.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

one dead pixel just isnt all that bad unless its right in the center of the screen. i'd really much rather have one dead pixel somewhere than deal with the flicker of CRTs all day.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm glad I read this thread.

I have a stuck pixel on my iBook: Bright f***ing red. Luckily it's on the left side of my screen. I don't see any more, though, so I guess I can't have AppleCare fix this.

Heck, only one person wants to play Sigma Chess on my iBook anyways, but I think he knows. :p

8. iGav macrumors G3

very occasionally you can 'massage' out a stuck pixel..... I've been able to do that a couple of times on ones that just appear...... maybe worth trying... don't use just your finger, use a soft lint free cloth, or glasses cloth........

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I was surfing the net one day, when all of a sudden my iBook screen went black, came back on, and then everything had a red tint to it. I called Apple, and they told me to send it back because they had put 3,000 bad connectors in iBooks over the past several months. I sent it to them, on a Monday, and said if I didn't receive it by Friday I would use my attorney to get a completely new iBook. They had it back to me by Wednesday!

10. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i only have two that are bright blue...there are several others that kinda twinkle really faintly with black back grounds...but those you have to look to see. just annoying with a 20 day old computer. i like your approach RBMaraman. if mine gets much worse and they still do nothing i will just zip off a letter on the law centers stationary ;)

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I know there are many cases where people really -do- have stuck or dead pixels on their LCDs, but it always bears repeating, before calling customer service, try cleaining your screen (you fscking slob ;)). I've fixed a number of "dead pixels" by gently scraping a piece of crud off people's screens with my fingernail. Stuck pixels are harder to fake, but it's not unheard of for people to open a soda near their monitor, and to have a droplet of can-spew hit their screen and dry into a little lens that looks like a screwed up pixel.

I think most people here are technically clueful enough to figure out the difference, but you never know.

13. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    give it a massage

sometimes you can fix a dead pixel by pressing moderately hard on it and massaging it. an lcd screen can take quite a bit of pressure. give it a try. if you are scared to do it. goto best buy and rub on their screens to see how hard you can push without any damage.

supposedly apple used to recommend this.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

>goto best buy and rub on their screens to see how hard you can push without any damage.

You mean go to [in]CompUSA and make it look like an accident? :D

I don't have soda by my iBook, ever. I know I had a few cans of reg. Pepsi by my Cube with a 15 inch LCD monitor, and I got no stuck/dead pixels from that (as supposed to s/d pixels from anything). I have pressed pretty hard on my iBook screen to get the damn thing out, but it ain't gonna go.