Screen Redraw Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kdbilly, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kdbilly macrumors member

kdbilly

Hi, I hope someone can help out.

My prob is: after a simple re-start, I started experiencing redraw issues, ie: there are blocks of color that do not match the desktop, windows or parts of windows remain or are ghosted, complete areas blocked out or covered with lines. Stuff very reminicent of the old OS9 memory stuff, you get the picture. I'm running OSX 10.3.9 on a 733 MHz G4 with 1.25G of RAM, lots of space left.

I ran TechTool Pro and optimized (which took about 7 hours), still no better.

Any advice? Ideas? This is one of my main computers, so would like to get it taken care of asap. Any help would be great... Thanks!

2. Queso macrumors G4

What's the video card you have in there (assuming you're talking about a PowerMac)?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. kdbilly thread starter macrumors member

kdbilly

Thanks for the replies. Things only look worse upon returning home. I could not get it to wake from sleep mode without the screen issues being even worse and freezes happening. So, I can't get into the system profiler to check what video/graphics card I have, and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the monitor, being that it looks fine when booted from the install disc.

I'm trying permissions now, but am ultimately wondering if anyone knows what has gone bad or is in the process of going bad and what to replace. I'm hoping to try and get access enough to grab some files, which would be awesome at this point. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much..

5. kdbilly thread starter macrumors member

kdbilly

I was able to get most of the files backed-up and gather some info as well. The video card is a GeForce2 MX, 32 mb VRAM.

I re-installed the OSX and still have the screen redraw issues. I have no clue what to replace now or where to start figuring it out. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

6. kdbilly thread starter macrumors member

kdbilly

I replaced the video card as was suggested and all is well again. Plus I have reformatted hard drive which can't be a bad thing after all. Thanks!

7. Queso macrumors G4

Good stuff. Sorry about losing track of this one. Sometimes the threads I subscribe to drown out others, but glad that your Mac is now back to it's usual working self.