Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
So,

I have broken my first iPhone screen :-(. . . I have Apple Care + and have an appointment scheduled for today. Question is do they just swap out the phone. Needing to know so I can back my phone up.

iPhone 6 Plus.

Also any chance they will swap colors?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
They will likely just swap the screen. It's highly unusual for them to give you a new phone (having said that, they did replace my wife's 5C a few years ago instead of repairing a broken earpiece because it was a warranty issue and they felt it would take too long to fix it vs just replacing it-but that was a weekend, and the refurb was at store discretion. And they asked us first.)

They will not swap a color.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
My experience fwiw:

A friend dropped 6+ and screen cracked, and slight damage/bend to casing as well - no applecare+ warranty.

Initially after genius looked at it, they were going to charge to replace the cracked screen at store in ~1 hour.

Went to pick it up after one hour and the genius examined phone to make sure screen was replaced properly and she informed us that the screen was not sitting flush bc the case was slightly bent from the drop. She went to the back and got a "new" 6+ and told us not to worry about it and Apple was taking care of it and we didn't even have to pay for the initial screen replacement!!

OP, you will need to backup your phone before they replace your screen or give you a replacement phone. Takes 5-10 mins to back up your phone.

99.99% if they swap your phone it will be for the same color fyi.

Reactions: Maclver

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
My wife dropped her 6 Plus and the screen shattered. Fortunately, we had AppleCare+ for it. They were initially just going to replace the screen. I then expressed my concern if the drop would've damaged anything inside. The diagnostic didn't report any internal issues, and there was no damage to the casing. After that, he gave us the option to replace the entire iPhone. We chose the new iPhone, since we would pay the same service fee and it would count against the 2 repairs anyway.

So, maybe just ask if the drop would've damaged anything inside. Maybe you'll be given the same option. Good luck!

And backup your iPhone.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
My wife dropped her 6 Plus and the screen shattered. Fortunately, we had AppleCare+ for it. They were initially just going to replace the screen. I then expressed my concern if the drop would've damaged anything inside. The diagnostic didn't report any internal issues, and there was no damage to the casing. After that, he gave us the option to replace the entire iPhone. We chose the new iPhone, since we would pay the same service fee and it would count against the 2 repairs anyway.

So, maybe just ask if the drop would've damaged anything inside. Maybe you'll be given the same option. Good luck!

And backup your iPhone.

If its replaced, its usually a refurb not a new phone.

Reactions: ABC5S

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I asked the Genius if it was a refurb, and he said it was new. Don't know if they are told to lie to customers.
If its a refurb the model number will start with a N. If the model number starts with an M, its a retail unit.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So,

I have broken my first iPhone screen :-(. . . I have Apple Care + and have an appointment scheduled for today. Question is do they just swap out the phone. Needing to know so I can back my phone up.

iPhone 6 Plus.

Also any chance they will swap colors?

Most likely they will just replace the front only. But they will do visual line test to see if the phone is bent or not. If they find that your phone is bent then they will likely replace the entire device and not the screen.

And if they do find that they need to replace the whole device, then they will replace likes for likes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.