Screen Resolution on Powerbooks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ryan McCanical, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Ryan McCanical macrumors newbie

I have decided on buying my first mac, which will be whatever updated Powerbook that comes out next. I would really like the 12", but because I use photoshop and flash a whole lot, I pretty much need something bigger than 1024x768 resolution. Is it possible to fit a larger screen resolution on a 12" screen, and do you think theres a chance that any upcoming powerbook models will have this feature built in? I know it would really make things tiny, but I really dont mind if it is still clear. Thanks!

2. Funkatation macrumors regular

I wouldn't suggest that, and besides, you wouldn't want anything higher than 1024x768 on a 12"! As it is it almost strains the eyes, and it will after several hours of staring at it. If screen real estate is an issue with you, get the 15" or 17".

3. thekaiser macrumors member

Sure, anything is possible. However, I think it is more of a practical issue. For most users 1024X768 is perfect for a 12" screen. If one goes to a higher resolution things will be less usable more a majority of mac users. If you want to get the 12" for its awesome portability, I would suggest getting an external for home. You could also just upgrade to the 15". It is more money, but well worth it if you can afford it. I would not expect the resolution to change from what it is now.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ANY 12 inch LCD supports a higher res than 1024x768 (at least not at a reasonable price for sure). I have the 15 inch Aluminum Book, and I guarantee you that I have never considered portability an issue anywhere on a cramped college campus or on a trip overseas. I would only suggest the 12 inch to a person who wants a portable SuperDrive but isn't worried about overall system performance.

5. Ryan McCanical thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input.. though I still dont know if i want a 12" or 15". I guess I'll choose when the G5PB rolls around (if it even does). haha

6. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

At the risk of starting a flame-war here, take a look at Dell's range of notebooks if you want a high resolution screen. Many of their notebooks are available in SXGA (1400x1050) and UXGA (1600x1200) configurations, over a number of screen sizes. I used to own a 14" Dell Inspiron 4100, and the thing I miss about it the most (well, actually the only thing really) was the SXGA (1400x1050) resolution. It was a perfect fit for the 14" screen, and really did away with the need for an external screen at all for a lot of serious graphics work.

I have a 12" PowerBook, and I don't mind the 1024x768 resolution. I've scaled down my system fonts and icons a bit to compensate (the default sizes in Finder are way too big IMHO). But I see your point about wanting more screen real estate. Whatever the screen resolution, you can always make the fonts, icons and documents larger if you're having trouble seeing them on a high resolution screen.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

baahhhh!!!! DELL!! :eek:

he he. :)

i'd got for the 15" if i were you. i use Photoshop, Flash, etc and it's really good having the extra space, and the widescreen format is heaps better, well at least i think it's awesome! :D i'd never want to go back to a normal ration screen if i could help it.:D

you could also just buy a second monitor... in fact i think that would be even better than buying just a 15". a dual-monitor setup is ssooo sweet. i've used dual-monitors a little bit, and it's a hell of alot more working space.

just go and have a look at the different models you're interested in, and see if you can get a second monitor hooked upto the 12" while you're in the store. there's nothing like trying before you buy.

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Regardless of the continual Dell-bashing that goes on in these forums, I would have to say that the 15" WUXGA 1600x1200 screen on a Dell 8x00-series Inspiron is probably the best notebook screen I've ever used...and that includes my friend's 17" PowerBook and my own 12" PowerBook. For all the physical screen area Apple has at their disposal in the 15" and 17" PowerBooks, they don't really stuff that many pixels in there.

Now please, gentle community members...FLAME ON!!!