Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ephex, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ephex macrumors member

Oct 24, 2004
    Is 1024x768 usable? I know Expose must make things better, but does it help enough to make it as useable as 1280x1024 [which I'm currently used to :)]?

If anyone has any experience using Propellerhead's Reason 2.5 [or Cubase SX, which I may buy in the future] on 1024x768, I would really appreciate your input. I'm currently looking into getting a laptop, and that insanely small resolution is scaring me away from anything less than a 15" PB :p. I have had first hand experience using Reason on my pc at 1024x768, and it's a nightmare :(.
  2. Jsmit macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2004
    I have a 12" PB. Yes it does get cluttered at times, but it is still usable. I still don't use expose to its potential, it always take me a moment to remember which key does what. I should note that I have never had display over 1024X768, I would imagine that it would be hard to downgrade though.

If your current machine is a Mac, you could try and reduce the resolution and see for yourself. If you don't then you'll have to find a friend with a mac (preferably with an iBook or 12:pB), or go to a retail store with Macs on display.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I have a PB 12" too. I had said that the resolution was just fine. Now that I have a 20" LCD connected to it, I am more mindful of what others have posted here.

For almost a year I did all my design work on the 12" screen. It can be done. Now how ever, I find it "harder" to go back to the lower resolution after working a while with the 20".

What size screen notebook would I buy again though? It would be the 12", hands down. For my 12" PB fits into a leather legal pad case. Traveling is a joy with it.
  4. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    It it very difficult to go down in resolution once you get used to more space, in my experience. My 21" crt that I ran at 16x12 died a few months back and I am now stuck on a 10x7 17" display until I can afford a replacement. I have a 12" iBook though, that I use occasionally for photoshop and digital audio work. It is certainly usable, but for larger projects there can be a lot of scrolling. If you get a powerbook, you can always hook up an external monitor too (although you can hack the iBooks to do screen spanning.)
  5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    You should use hot corners. That's easier than using the F keys, at least I think so.
    The way I have it set up: upper left(show all apps) lower left(show desktop)
    Makes things so much easier on a 12".