screen saver

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 25, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    i'm trying to put a screen saver on my PB. It's called FLUID. It says i'm supposed to drag the file into library, screen savers, directory. But when i get to the screen saver folder theres no directory folder to go to. Can someone walk me through it step by step[ from where you start at the beginning. I'm new to macs, sorry if this sounds stupid.
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    1. Go to either /Library (if the screen saver will be available to all users) or Home/Library (if it will just be available to the current user).
    2. Once there, open the "Screen Savers" folder. If it is not there, create it. Make sure the name is exactly right.
    3. Put the screen saver in the "Screen Savers" folder.
    4. Go to System Preferences, and then "Desktop & Screen Saver".
    5. Click on the "Screen Saver" tab and select the screen saver from the list.
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    When you normall double click on you Macs hard drive icon on the desktop, you are presented with a choice of folders, Applications, System, Library, ect.

You want to double click on the Library folder, and then search for the Screen Saver folder, then drag the Fluid icon to that folder. If you can't find the Screen Saver folder, click View>Arrange>by Name, then look for the Screen Saver folder.

Edit: HexMonkey beat me too it, I type too slow... :(
  4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    It doesn't work, but it's probably because i'm doing it wrong. I donloaded it, and the icon for it is on my desktop. I went into the Hard Drive and into Library then into Screen Savers. I clciked the icon on the dektop and dragged it into the screen saver folder. Then i went into system preferences then backround/screensaver and it's not on the list.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think I see what might be going wrong. When you download it, what kind of icon do you see? Do you see an icon that looks like a disc drive, or one that looks like a brown box (and the file name ends in .sit)?

If you get either of these, *double click* it. If you had the first one (disc drive) you should get a black window with a big fluid icon in it. If you had the second one, you should get the white disc drive icon, then you have to double-click it again and then you should get the black window.

Now, open your hard drive, go to library/screen savers and drag the icon in the black window to that window. Once it copies, you should see a black icon in the screen savers folder that matches the one in the black window, but smaller. It should say Fluid.saver underneath it.

Then it should work fine -- go to sysprefs and it should be in the list.
  6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    There is an option in that list, to choose folders. Choose the folder where you have put the screensaver.

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Ok thanks guys, i managed to get it to work. Anybody want to suggest any other motion screen savers that are cool. I heard there was one where you can almost create your own. Like you could add and design your own things to put in it like an underwater sea tank or something. Well thanks again!