Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Recently I have noticed that my pro isn't staying asleep for more than 5 min. The other issue is that the screens don't go to sleep when I set it in the power area. None of the power options work either. I timed it to shut screens off after 1 min and sleep the comp at 3 min and nothing happens. Now I have reset the pram and have unchecked all the wake for such and such.

The specs of the Pro are in my sig.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Do you have an aftermarket disc burner? Certain ones are known to prevent sleep by repeatedly dancing naked inside your Mac.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Perhaps you can find something by opening Activity Monitor, and selecting 'all processes'. Have you updated or installed anything when this began?

I'm out of ideas, as I have mine set to never sleep. :eek:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Perhaps you can find something by opening Activity Monitor, and selecting 'all processes'. Have you updated or installed anything when this began?

I'm out of ideas, as I have mine set to never sleep. :eek:

Does this help at all?

Screen_Shot_2013_02_06_at_12_25_03_AM.png

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Ah, that seems to be it! I just looked it up and found this:

"sdmbuiding is to do with help data for applications, and will eventually go away once its finished building the folder.
a temporary solution would be to force quit the helpd process in activity monitor, but will just rebuild upon restart.
if it doesnt go away after a period of time, you can use the terminal command
Code:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.helpd.plist

which should permanently stop it."

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Ah, that seems to be it! I just looked it up and found this:

"sdmbuiding is to do with help data for applications, and will eventually go away once its finished building the folder.
a temporary solution would be to force quit the helpd process in activity monitor, but will just rebuild upon restart.
if it doesnt go away after a period of time, you can use the terminal command
Code:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.helpd.plist

which should permanently stop it."

Thank you for finding this! I pasted the string into the terminal. I will test it tonight to see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.