Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Just curious who's running Screen Spanning doctor on a 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz (latest model) very often? If you are, are you using clamshell mode?

I'm thinking of getting another 17" 1280x1024 LCD for use on my iBook when I'm at my desk. I was planning on enabling clamshell mode, but not using it with it closed. You can close it, wake it up, then open it again and the screen stays off.

So it anyone doing something similar with my specific ibook model?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I have the hack installed and it works pretty good. I do not run the computer in clamshell as i am afraid of the heat. i actually dont use the hack much because i also have an iMac. Hte hack does come in handy with presentations and stuff though which is mostly what i use it for.

and my iBook is exactly the same as yours

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
ITASOR said:
Just curious who's running Screen Spanning doctor on a 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz (latest model) very often? If you are, are you using clamshell mode?

I'm thinking of getting another 17" 1280x1024 LCD for use on my iBook when I'm at my desk. I was planning on enabling clamshell mode, but not using it with it closed. You can close it, wake it up, then open it again and the screen stays off.

So it anyone doing something similar with my specific ibook model?

I no, I no... you said specific ibook model... but I am with my iBook (9200) w/ a 17" and it works great! I bet it works even better w/ the 9550. Also... I find its easier just to dim the iBooks screen so the backlights not on. That way you dont have to deal with the hole sleep, wake up, open deal.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
LOL, no offense, but did you guys read my post? :p I specifically said that I don't use clamshell mode with the lid closed for heat reasons, but that you can still close it, wake it up so the screen turns off, then open it again and it will still be off. This way you get full 32MB on the external display.

Hmm thanksw_parietti22, that makes me more confident! Are you using 1280x1024, because that's what I'd be using. Exposé is a little jump if I run both screens, but not really if I just run the external display using clamshell mode WITHOUT MY iBOOK CLOSED.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Now I have a question, guys.

I'm using the hack right now, but I can't even try out clamshell mode because I cannot get it to work. When I close my iBook and then shake my mouse/press a key on my KB, it doesn't wake up. It just stays asleep. Did I miss something? I thought this was all I had to do. If I can get it to work, I'll use it with the display open anyway to avoid the heat problem, but right now it wont work at all.

:(

Ideas? Yes, I enabled it. :)

EDIT: Never mind, I read the thing and it said it had to be on AC Power to work. Now it works, but I like it better spanning, it just feels safer and is easier to get out of. I'll probably uninstall the hack and then reinstall it with no clamshell mode.

Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.