Screen Spanning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MankieApple, Dec 26, 2005.

1. MankieApple macrumors member

Hi
    I have a iBook G4 and a 17" monitor whih i would like to run my ibook from, i can plug it in and run at my current 1024x786 however my screen can handle much more. Is there any sort of program or something which would allow me to do this?

Many thanks guys

Mankie

2. MankieApple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate.
    I have tried it but i can see no option to use just one screen with a higher resolution.

:)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, you never asked for that! ;)

When you installed it, it asked you about "clamshell" mode, right? This means that the internal screen is off, the iBook is closed, and just the external screen works. Be wary... the iBook doesn't cool that well closed, and you could damage it this way if you are not extremely careful.

If you don't want to close your iBook, then...is this just a VRAM issue (that you want your iBook open but you want all the VRAM on the external screen)? I'm not sure if you can do that.... :(

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

No, you can't do that. But there's nothing wrong with running both monitors. I wouldn't use clamsheel mode as the iBooks are designed to lose heat from the keyboard.

::20ROGERSC::

5. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I know this sounds a little out-of-topic on an outdated thread, but does this "clamshell mode" hack be made possible on an iMac G5 (iSight) with the iMac screen off and just the external display in use..? Would all of the VRAM be diverted to the external display..?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The VRAM is split between the monitors unless you unplug the internal cables from the onboard LCD.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, the answer is "no and no." :(