Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighFone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm facing a very bad problem - my screen is stuck at "Slide To Unlock" Or "Passcode" screens - Can't Use iPhone For Two Days Already, the screen will not respond to anything - I tried restarting the phone a millions times, nothing worked out!! This btw has happened two times before in which I was able to fix by restarting it, but this time nothing is helping!!!
My iphone is only one week old with me, but I bought it as a refurbished item from at&t. It's jailbroken and unlocked, and I had installed multiple apps on it before it hanged like that.
btw, i dunno if this can help u understand more, but i had the wifi turned on the last time the phone was working, and now everytime I restart it trying to fix the screen problem i see the wifi signal bars at the top, which means it's still turned on..
Please help me, I'm stuck and can't use my phone at all...thank god it's at least the weekend though!!

Any suggestions ??
:(:(

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
If your screen is stuck at the slide to unlock or enter passcode, maybe you should enter the passcode. If you can't remember the passcode, you probably shouldn't have set it in the first place. The password code on a phone is usually used to keep people from getting into your phone incase it's stolen.

HighFone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Not the passcode problem!!

DaftUnion - I know my passcode. My phone is stuck at the initial "slide to unlock" screen in the beginning after I restart my phone...I keep restarting but nothing helps. It's either that some app has affected the phone's ability to respond or something is wrong with the screen..

Anobody with a possible fix please??

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh. Uh oh. Yeah hopefully someone can help out but that sounds like a hardware problem with the touch screen. Might be a dead spot on the touch screen just over that "slide" part. If it's not over a year old the Apple store might be able to check it out and issue a replacement on the spot.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
you could set it in recovery (keep the homebutton pressed like 1o sec and then plug the cable in while still pressing the home button.... the do a restore ... from the original firmware und unlock again if you need to

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
if restore doesn't work, you may be able to get it back to its original state by putting it into DFU mode and connecting to iTunes, to reload the firmware that way.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I cannot believe someone has not recommended a Hard Reset. Hold the Sleep/Wake Button and Home Button for about 7 seconds or until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears. I know the OP said he tried a restart but a Hard Reset is different. It doesn't let the iPhone go through the full shut down process. It's kind of like ripping the power cord out of the back of your computer while it's still on, something I had to do many times to an unresponsive PC. I'm on a Mac now!

David

Reactions: Lcmfah

HighFone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
you could set it in recovery (keep the homebutton pressed like 1o sec and then plug the cable in while still pressing the home button.... the do a restore ... from the original firmware und unlock again if you need to

Thanks man, I'm willing to try to restore it, but I'm wondering if there's another solution, because I've seen many posts on many sites where ppl tried to restore and the problem wasn't solved.

Btw, FCP.guru.guy, thanks for the tip, but I tried hard reset, complete turnoff, and all that!! none worked!!!

I hope there's a solution other than having to buy a new screen!!

Suggestions anyone??

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Thanks man, I'm willing to try to restore it, but I'm wondering if there's another solution, because I've seen many posts on many sites where ppl tried to restore and the problem wasn't solved.

Btw, FCP.guru.guy, thanks for the tip, but I tried hard reset, complete turnoff, and all that!! none worked!!!

I hope there's a solution other than having to buy a new screen!!

Suggestions anyone??

Dude, restore the dang thing. There's no other solution.
If a restore doesn't fix it, it's a hardware problem.

Restore, and get over it.

Lcmfah

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
I cannot believe someone has not recommended a Hard Reset. Hold the Sleep/Wake Button and Home Button for about 7 seconds or until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears. I know the OP said he tried a restart but a Hard Reset is different. It doesn't let the iPhone go through the full shut down process. It's kind of like ripping the power cord out of the back of your computer while it's still on, something I had to do many times to an unresponsive PC. I'm on a Mac now!

David
Thank you. Only that worked. I tried pressing the home button several times but Siri kept asking me what I needed to do. The phone wouldn't shut down. Until I tried it your way, then I was able to restart my phone.. Thank you so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.