Screensaver error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Genoa12, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Genoa12 macrumors newbie

I am running os x 10.4.8 and I have system preferences 3.5, I am having problems. I was playing around with the screensaver menu and i set the itunes artwork to display 2 rows. I hit okay and i got an error. I thought, "Okay well i can just put it back and everything will be okay." But it turns out it won't let me put it back to what it was previously, i come to the use new settings or original settings box and regardless of what i click it doesn't change. I have logged in and out, shut down and booted back up. Please help.

I am beginning to lose faith in macs, i am coming from windows and i thought they were supposed to be better. My macbook is living up to its beauty but not the brains.

2. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

please help, now i cannot change any preferences for the entire computer

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

None of your System Preferences work? Or just the screensaver ones?

What happens if you create new user? Does it work then? (This helps pin down whether it's a problem at the user level or the system level.)

4. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't change any preferences, and i made another account and there were no problems. So that would confirm the problems are isolated to my account.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay...let's try this:

In the account with the problem and with System Preferences closed, go to <your user name>/Library/Preferences/ and drag the file com.apple.systempreferences.plist to your Desktop. Then open System Preferences and see if things are better.

6. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in my preferences folder right now and I can't see it, however I have searched for it with spotlight and there are 2 incidences of the file you mentioned as well as one called com.apple.systempreferences.plist.saved.

Is there something I can check to view hidden files because I can't move them out of the folder with spotlight.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it.

7. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind i was looking in the hard drive library not my account library, hold one a minute while i try it.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Control-click or right click on the listing in Spotlight and choose "Reveal in Finder." The two listings you see are for your two accounts, so be sure you find the right one.

9. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work, anything else you can think of, could it be an issue with itunes?

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, I'm kind of reaching here, but let's try something else.

In your same Preferences folder (the one inside your user folder's Library folder), there should be a folder called ByHost. Inside that folder you should find a few files that start with com.apple.screensaver and com.apple.systempreferences.

Again with System Preferences closed, try dragging those files to your Desktop and open System Preferences again. Any help? If not, you can probably put them back where they were.

11. Genoa12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked, the byhost one, THANKS I owe you one, can i send you a cupcake in the mail?

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Excellent...I was running out of ideas. :eek:

You can just PM me the cupcake. ;)

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

14. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Same thing happened to me after choosing the iTunes screensaver, this thread helped me.
    Thanks WildCowboy, Apple should really take care of this problem.