screensaver for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mopppish, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hello.
    I had one of those Radtech screensaver cloths (that protect your screen from keyboard marks) in my ibook. I just ordered a refurb Macbook and was wondering if screen protection is still necessary with a glossy display. I'd rather not buy another one of these over-priced handkerchiefs if I don't have to.
    Thanks.

2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

I would, as the glossy screen are aparantly more "tacky" if you know what i mean, so some people have had marks appear.

The Crumpler "The Slip" look quite good.

Dan :)

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When they are shipped, there's a plasticy-styrafoamy insert between the screen and the keyboard (at least in MBPs, I suspect MBs are the same). You could just keep that and reuse it.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Its better if you do. Itr does not even need to protect it from dust or fingers etc but if you put pressure on the sides for a prolonged time (keeping it in a school bag for a year), then the keys become imprintred on the screen

5. mopppish thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly the problem I had with the ibook that I'd like to avoid.
    Perhaps the recessed keyboard will cut down on this?
    Either way I think that I'm going to try without it for a few weeks and see if I need it. I did that with the ibook and it didn't cause any permanent damage, so I'm sure it will be fine.
    Thanks.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There was no 'screen' on my MB when I got it. They keys are actually recessed away from the screen so there is a considerable gap between keys and screen. I really wouldnt worry about it. If you put a cloth/screen in there then that will bridge the gap and will create impressions on the screen.

Mine has no marks on it whatsoever and Ive had it a while now.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just got an MB today and there was one of those styrofoamy-plasticy inserts between the screen and the keyboard.. FWIW...