Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cLin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
I have two monitors, my macbook pro and an external one. I barely use the external one except for movies and such and was wondering if I can make it so it does a slideshow of my pictures when nothing is being used on that mointor and when I mouse over to the monitor, the screensaver will turn off.

Basically, a digital photo frame for when my external monitor isn't being used by me (but connected to my MBP). Also, is there a way to view slideshow photos by keywords? I checked the slideshow tab in preferences but they only show the folders and not anything else.

cLin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
No way for seperate screensavers though? or something automated (ie press shortcut key, it runs slideshow on second monitor, press another shortcut key, it turns it off?)

rdjass0317

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
Hello

Good question. I guess because the screen saver program run on one device and your external monitor is connected to that one device, it acts as one and therefor you can't do so. there hasn't been a program made yet for monitor sharing and program splitting.(at lest I don't think so). but like live4ever says. running a program that plays some type of slide show and letting it run on your external monitor isn't a bad I idea. but I don't know if by doing so your MBP probable won't be able to run its screen-saver becuz its running that program. :apple:

cLin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Good question. I guess because the screen saver program run on one device and your external monitor is connected to that one device, it acts as one and therefor you can't do so. there hasn't been a program made yet for monitor sharing and program splitting.(at lest I don't think so). but like live4ever says. running a program that plays some type of slide show and letting it run on your external monitor isn't a bad I idea. but I don't know if by doing so your MBP probable won't be able to run its screen-saver becuz its running that program. :apple:

I don't care much for the screensave on the main display (laptop). I just wish the times I am not using my external display it'll automatically play a slideshow.

Lars66

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Use changing Desktop instead of Screensaver

Strange that there was a gap of several YEARS between the first batch of posts and the most recent.

Anyway, I've figured it out a cool work-around -- doesn't give you whatever screensaver you want, but if you're looking for a basic slideshow screensaver on your Mac's secondary monitor, I've got it. (I'm running MacOS Snow Leopard, BTW.)

Instead of using the screensaver, which doesn't seem to distinguish between primary and secondary monitors, right-click on the desktop and choose Change Desktop Background. On the secondary monitor, there will be a separate window for the Secondary Desktop. Choose a picture folder. Check "Change picture" and choose (for example) "Every 5 seconds". Check Random Order if you want. Now, as long as you don't have any open windows on your secondary monitor, the whole screen will cycle through the pictures in the folder you chose, fading between them. Pretty nice!

Reactions: Serqetry

birdtrek

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you Lars66. Works perfectly.

I usually have mail open on the second monitor. If this is minimised, a click on the main monitor will put it back immediately.

atb4888245

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
RE:Screensaver on external monitor only

I am a newcomer to this thread, so pardon the late interruption! But since nobody seems to have a solution, thought I'd share what I discovered.... I just got a brand-new MacBook Pro to replace my 7-year old PowerMac G5, and I wanted to use it with external monitors - very much like a desktop. I didn't want to destroy the MacBook's monitor while I work on external monitors, and I was a little disappointed to discover you're not supposed to close the lid or the book could overheat and that you can't have a screensaver on one monitor only and that iPhoto blacks out one screen while running in full-screen on the other.... (And yes, you can set wallpaper to change at regular intervals, but it affects both monitors too, so I didn't like that!)
Then I turned to Quicktime ... thinking I could run a movie in full-screen mode from a slideshow I made in Final Cut. The Quicktime player that comes with SL and Lion failed like iPhoto, blacking out the other monitor ... but Quicktime 7 performed how I wanted it to! (Hooray for old technology!) But you have to go into preferences and select the option for Quicktime to remain in full-screen mode even though it is not the active app. (Picture Attached?) Then you can drag Quicktime to whichever monitor you like, pop it into full-screen mode, and continue to work on the other monitor....
To get Quicktime 7 for SL and Lion, you have to go here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Now I can work on my external monitor and not destroy my Macbook's monitor.... Someone please inform me when someone makes an app that allows you to turn individual monitors off!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-22 at 10.56.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-22 at 10.56.39 AM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 886

Idloneg

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Screensaver external monitor OS X

It's not an ideal solution but you can also run the iTunes Visualizer on the external display to emulate an ersatz screensaver.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The RandomExtra screensaver appears to still work under High Sierra just fine. But I find it easier just to use the built-in image screensaver with the "change image every 5 seconds" setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.