Screensaver options crash...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Grunze, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Grunze macrumors regular

Grunze

Hello,

When I try to access my screensaver option from system preferences, but preferences crashes. I have to reopen the preferences 3 times before it responds. I'd like to use the album artwork screen saver, but when I use it it'll only work at 2 rows... even if i change it to anything else, it still goes back to 2 rows.....

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS I'm running osx tiger on a brand new 24" iMac. And iTunes 7.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it give you a dialogue box or does it just close suddenly? Is System Preferences the only thing crashing on your machine or are you having trouble with other aspects? Maybe create a new user account and see how well that behaves with System Preferences. :)

3. Grunze thread starter macrumors regular

Grunze

Hi,

Its only the sys. prefs that crashes and it does give me a dialog box asking whether i want to reopen it or report it. On the third try reopening, it works, but it doesn't work like it should... wallpapers wont change dynamically... and so on.

Ari

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe find a file named com.apple.systempreferences.XXX.plist where XXX is a bunch of random numbers, and also a file named com.apple.systempreferences.plist and drag them to the Desktop whilst System Preferences is closed. Does this help at all? :)

5. jacktheriffer86 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, on a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) 17" iMac.

I tried what you suggested above, and it didn't help at all. :(

6. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I had the problem that whenever I clicked on the iTunes screensaver, the app completely crashed and just diappeared. I searched for iTunes plist in Spotlight, deleted it, and it fixed the problem. I'm pretty sure it's a preferences issue and you need to clear it out.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

jacktheriffer86, what third party panels show up in System Preferences for you? :)