Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberpawz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Ok this command allows you to create a screensaver as your desktop...

nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

How can I create a simple little program from the menubar allow me to turn on, or off this command without going through the terminal each time I want to do it?

Any help would be appreciated... I have XCode downloaded so if I need to I'll make and compile something if I have to, I just don't know how to go through the terminal and do it myself.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
it is something like this. make an applescript..

how to write an applescript

http://www.mactipscafe.com/tip021/

Code:
tell application "Terminal"
activate
do script with command "nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background"
end tell

my syntax maybe a little of. I am not sure on the quotes, but yeah it something like that.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Do you run the same command to swap the value from true to false and from false to true?

Cyberpawz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
mrfrosty said:
An alternative would be to use "backlight"

It crashes the desktop in 10.4.4 after it comes back from sleep, not my idea of a good game plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.