screenshot help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kilpajr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. kilpajr macrumors regular

I will be taking a lot of screenshots for one of my classes this semester. Taking a screenshot (using cmd-shift-4), converting to TIFF, saving, deleting original, then inserting into Word is getting to be a pain since I am doing it so often.

Is there an easy way to automate this task, and if so, how? Alternatively, is there a better program that allows you to take screenshots directly to picture format, preferably one that takes just the highlighted window (such as is done by pressing the space bar after cmd-shift-4)?

2. DeadEye686 macrumors member

3. kilpajr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I think this will really help out. Is there a way to automatically open grab and select capture window (I see that cmd-shift-W will do this after grab is open)? Maybe I am just being too picky. :)

I would really like to be able to just hit some key combination and have a screenshot taken of the current window and this picture be automatically copied into the clipboard.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Hold down control while using the screen capture shortcuts and it will put the picture in the clipboard instead of a file. So type control-command-shift-4, then space, click on the front window, and paste into Word.

5. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

If you have the money, go for Snapz Pro X 2. I had Pro X installed on my rig when I bought it, and it was a welcome addition since it stops the action while you select, and can choose the file format. For those w/ dual screens, it allows you to select a single monitor or both, as opposed to both only. With Pro X 2 the movie and audio support is much better, allowing 30fps vids with low overhead.

When I got panther, Pro X stopped working. I never really needed the video support that came with it, but using Grab or the command shifts were unbearable. Especially grab, since you had to have it as the top application. Drove me to upgrade, and I don't regret it. They sell a cheaper version I believe that excludes the video component and just has the pictures. I also think they have a demo.

6. kilpajr thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was looking for! Thanks!