screenshot options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat6, Dec 5, 2004.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

I find Apple-Shift-4 very useful, but is there any way to get it save as a JPG instead of a PDF?

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

You could go to export in Preview.
    Also for screenshots with text it is better to save it as a .png

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Grab (found in Applications Menu) is also an option although I still prefer the export from Preview route, unless you have access to Photoshop.

edit: oops Gary beat me to it . . . :eek:

5. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Grab seems to do TIFF, which is even more disheartening. I guess I'll just fire up Photoshop if there's not way to save directly as JPG.

6. altair macrumors regular

Use the export feature from preview like these guys are saying, tis easy.

open up the image in preview, go to file>export and it auto selects .jpg, and gives the option for a whole slew of other formats.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

to even futher enhance your screenshot workflow in Preview... use this tip that i discovered...

if you want the whole screen just add ctrl to your usual key combo (cmd+shift+crtl+3) to capture the screenshot to the clipboard, then open Preview, and there's an option to make a new document from the clipboard. then just export.

no PDF file sitting on your desktop, the first file that is made is when you export the pic. i much prefer this way, then you're not deleting PDF's etc.

of course you can also add ctrl to the cmd+shift+4 combo, very handy. :D

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I like cb911's method, since you can crop and select the exact format to save in, but there's a more universal alternative as well:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20011027064656792&query=choose+format+screenshot

This tip is from 2001, so it may not work in newer versions of OSX, but it's worth a try.

If you're too lazy to click, it tells you to type this line in the terminal, replacing [imageFormat] with PNG, JPEG, or whatever:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat [imageFormat]

9. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I like grab also except I wish there was a faster way to have it up and ready to grab.

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

wow, thanks for that link Makosuke... :D

now only if there was some way to set the default compression for when you're saving as a JPEG... and you could just take a screenshot and it's ready for the web - no need to open the pic and make any adjustments! :D now that would be nice.

11. dotnina macrumors 6502a

You could also try "Folder Actions." Tell the folder to convert any TIFFs in there to JPGs. Then, whenever you want a screenshot as a JPG, stick the .tiff in there, and ta-da: instant JPG. :)

Edit: Here's a little thread from last week. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=99696

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

nice. :cool: i've seen those 'folder actions' in the menu - but never knew you could do those kind of things with it... if you do any small conversions frequently, perhaps this could end up being faster than even a Action/batch process in Photoshop?

13. advres Guest

advres

Holy Cow!!! I never really investigated folder actions before either. This is great news considering I have to take screenshots a few times a day and send them via email. This is gonna save me so much time!!!!!

Thanks DOT!!!! :D