Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
When I try to take a screenshot (Command + Shift + 3/4) I get the camera sound, but a file is never created on my desktop. I have searched my drive and can't see that these images are going anywhere. Any ideas?

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
There are a couple discussions on Apple Forums about this. I'm having the same problem - some kind of memory leak with Screencapture. If you check your console.app you might see the messages about it.

I've filed a bug report with Apple already, you might want to do the same.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
I fixed it!

Open Terminal
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true; killall Finder

Then navigate to ~/Library/Preferences/ and open .GlobalPreferences.plist
Once it is open just remove the AppleDisplayScaleFactor string and save.

fix_screenshots-20071123-180424.jpg

Then in Terminal turn invisible files off again:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true; killall Finder

In a way it's good this happened, because when I turned invisible files on I found 2 movies that were hidden on my desktop each ~2GB so I got some hard drive space back.

Now for some explanation... it seems that if you mess with Resolution Independence you mess up your screenshots.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Wow!

thanks for this solution, I will definitely try it when I get home and report back on the results!

I have high hopes, because I messed with the Display Scaling a while back, didn't think it would have anything to do with this problem though.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
It worked! But I couldn't get your command line to show hidden files so I had to use TinkerTool to show hidden/system files. But at least my screenshots work again!

Thanks

seenastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Same problem but on Snow Leopard 2 years later

Guys,
I'm having the same problem but it appeared only after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, in Snow Leopard, there is no AppleDisplayScaleFactor string in .GlobalPreferences.plist anymore, or at least for me. Any ideas where that string is located now, or what else I can tweak?

Thanks,

onorobo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Hey, sorry I know this is resurrecting a dead thread, at the moment I do not quite care! I- I tried your solution, but got to the second step and found that there is no file titled .GlobalPreferences.plist on my computer.

So I decided to give up and tried your third step to hide all these invisible files now showing all over my computer and it is not working! I am freaking out a little. What's going on??

pompousjohn

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Hey, sorry I know this is resurrecting a dead thread, at the moment I do not quite care! I- I tried your solution, but got to the second step and found that there is no file titled .GlobalPreferences.plist on my computer.

So I decided to give up and tried your third step to hide all these invisible files now showing all over my computer and it is not working! I am freaking out a little. What's going on??

I ran into the exact same issue. I noticed the commands to show and hide hidden files were identical, so taking a wild guess I tried:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false; killall Finder

and it worked.

hulamonkey

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I actually CAN take a screenshot but when I double click it, the picture comes up static-y. It's messed up looking. When I attached it to an e-mail to show someone, they said that it was blank and nothing was even there.

I attached it onto this message. I hope it actually pulls through. What the hell is going on and how can I fix it? I really need this screen shot function.

Thanks in advance!

I ran into the exact same issue. I noticed the commands to show and hide hidden files were identical, so taking a wild guess I tried:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false; killall Finder

and it worked.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-29 at 20.21.26 .png
    Screen shot 2010-09-29 at 20.21.26 .png
    26.4 KB · Views: 350

hdzavalanche

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
I know this is a zombie thread, but it's now the top hit on Google.

To fix this problem, just type into Terminal: killall SystemUIServer

This will fix it without having to log out and back in again.

Edit: Nevermind; it must have been another coincidence. It's not working, as ever. :(

Last edited:

rmchale

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009

Edit: Nevermind; it must have been another coincidence. It's not working, as ever. :(

I have the same problem in Lion.. Any progress?

rmchale

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009

I rebooted earlier that did not fix it.. This seems to have fixed it(in Lion). I will keep my fingers crossed.

nkaryb

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
What program?

When he said to OPEN GlobalPreferences.plist and showed a screenshot, WHAT program did he use to open the file? I tried double-clicking the plist file and it just opened TextEdit with a black screen.

Thanks,
Nathan

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Guys i'm getting this problem as well.

Also my Trash is completely empty when i haven't cleared out my trash in a month!

Is there any fix?

Nvm, found the fix for future reference:

Just shut down your Mac and turn it on again. Fixed it for me!

Last edited:

talonblade

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Workaround

The suggestions in this thread didn't fix the problem for me, but until a fix comes out I use this method. In Applications/Utilities there is a program called Grab. It does the same thing, just takes a little longer. It's in my Dock until the keyboard shortcut gets fixed. Good thing I don't take a ton of screenshots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.