Screenshots of a movie playing on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bookworms, Feb 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I would like to take a screenshot of a scene in movie I bought on iTunes, so I could use it as my desktop wallpaper, or maybe edit it a little and post it on a forum I go on. Whenever I try to take a screenshot of the scene I'd like (in full-screen, or the smaller player) it comes up blank.
    I've tried it in Quicktime, and the same happens.
    With VLC, the movie doesn't even open.
    I'm pretty sure there isn't really a problem with my computer; it's just a copyright issue. But is there anyway I can take a screen cap?
    Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go to the Mac App Store and get yourself Skitch. It will allow you to take screen shots.

4. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Probably not of purchased movies in iTunes, or dvds in DVDPlayer.

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it should take those, as well. As an alternative, if you have another Mac on your network, you should be able to use Screen Sharing to take the screen capture from the remote computer. If not on the same network, you can use TeamViewer to do the same thing from a Mac or Windows PC.

6. macrumors newbie

More that doesn't work--and one that does

I'm trying to grab some stills from iTunes videos I "own." Skitch didn't do the trick for me, and neither did Voila or ScreenFloat. I can, however, grab screen shots off my iPad if I transfer the movie over to that. Screen shots there are simultaneously pressing the on/off button and the big button at the bottom of the screen.