Screenwriting contests

Discussion in 'Community' started by Time Clock, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Time Clock macrumors member

Hello all. I wrote a screenplay a couple of years ago. I still can't believe that I did it. Anyways, even though I know it isn't Academy material (what do they know, anyway? :p ), I would still like to send it in to a contest, or two, or three to get feedback on it. Even though I know that the majority of you guys (and girls :) ) are probably not screenwriting people, I figure that some of you may be able to give me some help. Any other advice on this subject would also be appreciated. Oh, and another thing, I'm sure that a Mini would handle the task of screenwriting just fine, and it would scream past the 500 Mhz ibook that my parents have, but would it handle things like Motion okay, or would I be better served in getting a higher-end computer for a mini editing studio? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    TC

2. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Contests are a great way to get your work credentials without actually having much done with it. I don't know too much about screenwriting, but in the playwriting world, there are tons of them. There is a book called The Dramatist's Source book for playwrights. It's a book full of contacts, contests, theatres, etc to get your work produced. There is probably one for screenwriters. Maybe try The 2005 Writer's Market?

But yeah. Hope I helped.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just did a search of writersmarket.com and found NO screenwriting contests. This doesn't seem right. There are tons of playwrighting contests, though. There is one screenwriting fellowship, but it's only open to N.C. residents (I'm in luck, if only I had a screenplay!)

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Can you PM me info on this? I live in NC and just happen to have a screenplay that I wrote last year... it needs another draft (or I maybe I should just novelize it as so many have suggested).

Oh, and check out finaldraft.com for info on their Big Break screenwriting contest.

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

hardware

If you aare serious about using motion and things like that finalcut pro etc i'd seriously look at a G5 system. My preference (but i understand, cos I can't afford one) would be a PowerMac dual G5, - it will last a lot longer than an iMac.

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I dont think Motion will even load on it (I could be wrong). Motion has VERY high requirements, especially if you want it to run smoothly. My dual 2 GHZ G5 with 2GB RAM sometimes bogs down a bit running Motion.

7. tdewey macrumors regular

8. Time Clock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. Stupid script took so stinkin' long to write, at least for my impatient self. I just hope that whoever would look at it doesn't just laugh it off the face of the planet. As long as they at least look at it, though. A rewrite will probably be in order anyways, just to polish it up. And one more thing... would it be smart to register the version of the screenplay that I would be sending in for copyright purposes? I figure yes it would be, but who knows? Thanks again for the help.

TC

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You ABSOLUTELY need to register the script with the WGA before you show it to ANYBODY. Doing so will protect you from having your script and/or your significant ideas stolen... Hollywood is so deathly afraid of lawsuits that no one will steal your script if you've registered it... it would be cheaper for them to buy it from you than to steal it from you and get sued.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

AHA! That's why I didn't find any in my writersmarket search -- I reflexively pressed the "only return contests that don't charge a fee" button. There are indeed quite a few if you are willing to pay a fee. And if you're willing to pay a fee, I'd recommend paying $3.95 a month for a writersmarket.com subscription.