Screw bluetooth... this is MY next mouse!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by spaceballl, Sep 2, 2004.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

2. Porsche macrumors newbie

There was a story on Slashdot a while ago about this mouse.

Looks like a nice gadget, especially the rechargeable batteries and base.

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It'd be cool if that was bluetooth though, seems kinda pricey for a USB still. Oh well, I guess the laser makes up for it :D The design looks interesting. Anyone know if this is supposed to be more ergonomic than other mice?

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Looks pretty ugly to me.

Not sure if I would want that thing on my desk. Although I guess if you wanted the precision that it offers, you prob have to sacrifice form over function.

I still think the microsoft bluetooh mouse is one of the best looking mouses' out there.

Along with the good ole one button form Apple.

5. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

It certainly looks more ergonomic... My only problem with this is that, sure it's MUCH more precise than optical, but how precise can you get before there is essentially no difference, to humans at least?

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Since I saw this on /. a few days ago, I've been fighting temptation to buy it. My MX700 is acting up and I think a replacement is necessary.....so tempted!

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm kind of confused right now. I thought this mouse was wireless, but it isn't Bluetooth. So how does it work? Or is it indeed USB?

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Bluetooth isn't the only wireless technology... there's RF and IR and others.... Bluetooth is great for short range data transfer. RF works just was well for something like mouse tracking.
    -Kevin

9. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It is indeed USB, it'll have an adapter you have to plug into your USB port, kind of similar to the external Bluetooth adapters. I think lots of mice are that way, at least, my Macally mouse is like that.

10. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

not for me then! :p

11. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

bah - it's an RF mouse!!

I think this mouse will be great for desktop users. Seeing that is an RF mouse it would be useless for PowerBook users because of the RF module you have to shove into your USB port.

I just invested in a Logitech mx900 BT for my PowerBook the other day as I have the Bluetooth module built in. It works great!

As for the laser tracking system, I think it is over doing it a little. As comictimes said in a previous post what level of precision do you need for your user input. It's not like you will be getting in a tizz because an irregular region that you are defining in a graphics app is out by 1 pixel....

aussie_geek

12. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

False. You plug a USB cable in which leads to the charger cradle. The mouse charging cradle is also an RF transmittor.

However... your point is valid that it won't be too useful among 'book users. I'm a 'book user though and i'd only use it when i'm at home plugged into my external monitor. On the road the trackpad is fine for me.

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

It would be great if this comes together with a keyboard as well, reduce the number of cables. Then u can have wireless keyboard with a retractable cable to recharge it with the same base station as the mouse.

14. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

goodlooking but crap... I have one and its slow... I can't use it for Photosop because I need precision... so I hooked up my old Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical (the first one they made...) and thats still the best for me...

maybe its allso because I don't use exposé and wished that MS made drivers for it so I could give some use to all those buttons on the BT and maybe speed it up...

15. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i really hate logitech mice, i much prefer my apple mouse.... and i dont miss the two buttons anymore, i missed them for about a year (or longer) but in this last year its just seemed to disapear

16. macidiot macrumors 6502a

I just replaced my ms optical mouse with a logitech mx510. Mostly because I wanted higher optical resolution. With the MS mouse, the cursor would often jiggle around when I wasn't even touching the mouse. Didn't really affect performance, but it would drive me crazy if I was reading something and saw that cursor, off to the side, jiggling away.

I would have gotten the 1000, but I prefer a wired mouse.