Screw stuck in Al 12" PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by superbovine, May 2, 2005.

1. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    I was trying to upgrade my hard drive in my pb. I got the plans from pbfixit, but i have run into a screw that is stuck. my screwdriver is the correct size, and will remove the other screws of the same size. everytime i try to remove the screen i wear down the keyed portion of the head. The screw is right above the superdrive, so i don't want to apply to much pressure. besides drilling out the screw which I would like to avoid, because metal shards would make circuts that i do not want. i've entertained using glue and an old screw driver to remove it. anyboy got any other bright ideas?
  2. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    I managed to get a damaged screw loose with a pair of needle nose pliers while replacing a hard drive in an imac. try to get a replacement screw once it's out.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Is the head sunken, or protruding? If it's protruding, even a little, use a file or something to score a line across it (ignoring the old mark, it just needs to be a bit deep in a straight line) and just use a flathead to remove it-- I've done this a handful of times, and it works well. I seem to remember, there is a product on the market that's similar to the glue idea... you put a drop on, shape it with the screwdriver, wait for it to dry, then unscrew it. But I don't know if that's something you can use on tiny electronics, hell I don't even remember the name of the product, anyone help? And yes I managed to get needle-nosed pliers to remove them before, but usually that destroys the screw permanantly (like you're going to want to put it back in again!)
  4. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    the head is just right were it should be, it is just stuck. you gave me should ideas though, thanx.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If that doesn't work, sometimes you can do some tricks with a small pair of vise-grips, too...good luck! :)

*hates stuck screws*