Screw the new airport extreme...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wakerider017, Feb 23, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Now this is what I am talking about.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...632665&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Wireless n router with 10/100/1000 switch. Complete with the wonderful linksys firmware that is oh so versatile.

Yummy.

Sorry guys it may not be an :apple: product....

But when it comes to a home network I am more about function than beauty.

EDIT: Just for the record I will be waiting for the final draft of n to be released before I purchase any n wireless networking product.

2. islandman macrumors 6502

Nice stuff! Very cool. I got an Airport Extreme already, but this looks good too. My old Linksys (802.11g) was given to a coworker. I could always just have 2 access points in the house :).

3. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Airport Extreme does have it's ups too. I am very envious of the usb port on the back that can serve as a Print/HDD server.

Just trying to figure out why Apple left out the gigabit. Puzzling. Additionally I love how easy it is to adjust settings in my Linksys WRT54G. I can forward a port in a matter of moments.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

That Linksys looks like something from a 1970s episode of Dr. Who!!!

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Nothing a brown paper bag can't fix. :)

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm in the same boat -- waiting for an N-final router with gigabit, and I love my Linksys hackable routers. Networking = all about functionality. I would never buy a crippled :apple: networking product.

The print server could be handy, but I always have one of my machines turned on anyway. As for the file server, that's why I run a real server. Gives me unlimited expandability (currently 1.6TB across 6 hard drives), and the ability to run things like FTP/SSH, Apache, MySQL, backup scripts, etc.

Aside from the high price, the fact that Apple left out gigabit will guarantee I will never buy an APX. That was the dumbest move ever, considering the wifi can now outpace the 100Mbps ethernet connections. That's like putting the $99 special sale tires on a Bugatti.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

What is puzzling me is why Apple didn't include 2 USB ports. I am sure enough users would like to connect a printer AND a HD.

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

USB hub ftw? I know they should have thought about putting at least two usb ports in. :confused:
    But you can just throw in a usb hub and tape the hub to the airport :)

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I was thinking of the same thing. As they could add more antennas to it

10. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

That is one ugly device. Wonder how much power it consumes? As much as the PS3? :p

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think one question will be what Apple's next follow-up product is, as right now, it's either 802.11g + Airtunes or 802.11n + NAS. Especially with Time Machine, the line between home / prosumer / whatever is blurring, as the NAS features of the AEBS are really going to be appealing to a lot of home consumers, although I'd guess they'd also want Airtunes.

A hub is certainly a solution to the problem you highlight, although... it does defeat the whole visual elegance of the Apple products.... :( I haven't been paying such close attention, but is the AEBS the same footprint as the Mini? There's a hub that looks like the Mini, right? And there're several hard drive enclosures that do as well. So you could have a tower of little white and silver squares. :D

12. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Not to rain on everyone's anti-APX parade but:

Wireless networking's theoretical speeds are just that, theoretical. Real world conditions and protocol overhead drop actual speeds substantially. Draft n APX was clocked at 90 Mbit. And wireless clients all share the same bandwidth, which means adding clients cuts individual client bandwidth down.

Ethernet is full duplex 10/100/1000 Mbit, wireless is not full duplex. So again, the theoretical speed is not truly representative of real world speed.

And unless you are streaming HD video all over the place, most networking is mostly infrequent bursts as you load an un-cached web page or fire off an email check. Or play network-based games (Xbox, PS3, PeeCee).

No one said you *had* to buy an APX. Steve Jobs will not come to your house/business and smash your Linksys router and shove an APX on you. I have had several Linksys routers and recommend them to others. Despite the fact that I have been a Mac user since 1985 and own Apple, Inc. stock, I don't buy only computer Apple products.

That's great that you like Linksys, but I don't care that you simply hate the APX and try to justify it with another non-Apple product that is designed to cover a much wider marketplace than what Apple is targeting.

13. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Maybe.. alas, I've found out that Apple's design sometimes impairs functionality.. I'm speaking about the miserable WiFi reception of my Powerbook :(

14. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

My thoughts exactly! I was thinkink about buying HD mini style and belkin USB hub ( http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=199956 ). The only disadvantege is number of power adapters you have to put somewhere :rolleyes:

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've got my APX connected to the USB hub which is part of the MicroNet MiniMate 500GB drive, and a USB printer plugged into that. Works fine, and has the same footprint.

16. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Thanks! Great dea. this way I can get rid of at least one power adapter (hate those things). Do you think its gonna work with any hard drive with multiple USB ports??

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

#1. Isn't it true that very few of LinkSys routers can run hacked firmware, especially the more recent models? Do you know for sure if any of LinkSys's pre-802.11n routers can?

#2. Have you used the new AirPort Utility? It gives you way, way more access to settings and performance data in all models of Airports (not just the new Extreme model) that Apple previously hid from users.

I haven't seen a benchmark/review yet that shows a consumer-model access point that can move pre-802.11n data faster than 90Mpbs. Where are you getting your info that wifi can outpace 100Mpbs ethernet connections?

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pictures? :D

But this time, wear a shirt, for god sakes, man!

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

ae.jpg
    Happy to oblige.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice! Thanks for the pic. Now I just need to get one that holds two or three 3.5"-ers at a little height cost, and get that 1+TB spanned disk setup going. :D

21. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Thanks! Now last question :p .... Whats the shortest USB cable you ever encountered??? So I can decrease amount of all that junk behind that stack??

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The MiniMate comes with a 5" one. All that "junk" is four ethernet connections, two power cords and a USB printer cable.
    usb.jpg

23. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Sorry!!! I didnt want to be offensive! :eek: I'm just allergic to all those cables and always trying to get rid as many as possible. 5" sounds reasonable though.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you need to craft a fine wood cable hider. :)

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I find that positioning it behind the 24" iMac works a treat. :)