Screwed up iPod need help...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DarkNetworks, Oct 9, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Well, i open my iPod and followed what it said and all and i used it pretty fine with my Mac...and now, i connect it to a windows machine and it says i need to format.Well enough i inserted the cd(installation) and did the whole process again and now my nano's format is Windows...how can i change it back so that it works just as before when i just opened it and i used it with my mac...what can be done to restore?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, what happens is that Mac can read and write to Windows (FAT32) formatted disks. However Windows cannot read or write to Mac (HFS) formated disks. When you buy a Nano it is originally formatted to Windows and loading it onto your Mac will format it to HFS.

This now means that your Nano is unrecognisable to the PC so you did a full reformat and it is now Windows formatted again.

It should however now work on both Mac and PC but you will have to use a PC to apply any firmware updates. My 3G iPod is formatted to Windows and I have set it up to manually manage music. This means i can use my iPod on both PC and Mac without running the risk of deleting all the music on it.

A Windows formatted Nano should work with Mac, if it doesn't, then Apple have implemented some sort of new deal where you can only use the Nano on one platform - sounds a bit silly so i don't think they have.

Keep it formatted in Windows and just plug it into the Mac, don't load anything, don't use the disk, just plug it into the Mac and see what happens.

3. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

nothing happens..it works as usual..just that now when iTunes is open, it doesn't show the Podcast tab in my iPod and i transfer songs to my iPod...its extrememly slow (very very slow, not like the last time when i first used it)..anyway to reformat back?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just run the last iPod updater (should be in /Applications/Utilities/) from your Mac, and do a complete restore.

Edit: D@mn, beaten by a madman... :p ;)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just as a side note, I thought the nano came formatted for Windows out of the box. I also don't think the slow transfer speed is necessarily a result of the different formatting types but a reformat may help all the same, irresepctive of which platform you use. A Mac will transfer data to either formats with roughly equal speeds (if not exactly the same).

Ah, but your reply was more comprehensive. Mine could potentially be misinterpreted and a PC may be used, in which case the whole process would have been bloody useless. :p

6. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

7. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Whilst on this topic are there any major drawbacks of updating the ipod system software? You know like the psp and home brew's!

Thanks

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not quite sure what you mean, sorry. Care to elaborate? :)

9. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

If I understand what you're asking...

There shouldn't be any drawbacks as the above link is an official software release from Apple, not some modification that someone wrote. Each release has been known to "break hacks" like Real's "harmony" system in November 2004.