Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Hello everyone
I was trying to connect my iMac G4 to my new iBook to transfer stuff via ethernet, bur could'nt get it to work. I've been fooling around with lots of settings in sharing, appletalk and stuff to try and make it work. Then finder froze on the imac, I forcequit and my desktop-icon changed to the default one. I thought hmmm strange and restarted the machine.
When it came back up my desktop was wiped, my dock was back to default, and programs are acting like they're starting up for the first time...What just happened and can I undo it????

-Squirrel

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
:eek: Very embarrased. Somewhere along the confusion I've managed to put myself (my userfile?) into the shared-folder.... dug it back out and everything was back to normal.

Stille could use some advice on the ethernet-thing though? It asks me whether I want to connect as guest or as user, and when i choose user it asked for a password. I try using my admin-password but that's won't work.. Don't know of any other passwords for the machines:confused:

Also, can anyone tell me what to do with Mail? I'd like to have mail running on both machines to fetch my gmail and others. hows the best way to coordinate the machines with that?

Any help appreciated.

-Squirrel

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
PickledSquirrel said:
:eek: Very embarrased. Somewhere along the confusion I've managed to put myself (my userfile?) into the shared-folder.... dug it back out and everything was back to normal.

Stille could use some advice on the ethernet-thing though? It asks me whether I want to connect as guest or as user, and when i choose user it asked for a password. I try using my admin-password but that's won't work.. Don't know of any other passwords for the machines:confused:

Also, can anyone tell me what to do with Mail? I'd like to have mail running on both machines to fetch my gmail and others. hows the best way to coordinate the machines with that?

Any help appreciated.

-Squirrel
That is simple. Just enable Personal File Sharing in the System Preferences/Sharing/Services on the machine that you want to connect to. Then from the second machine just go to in Finder Go>Connect to Server and then log in as an admin by using the short name and password of that machine that you area trying to connect to.

Short Name can be found in System Preferences/Accounts/Password on computer that you are connecting to.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Mac_Freak said:
That is simple. Just enable Personal File Sharing in the System Preferences/Sharing/Services on the machine that you want to connect to. Then from the second machine just go to in Finder Go>Connect to Server and then log in as an admin by using the short name and password of that machine that you area trying to connect to.

Short Name can be found in System Preferences/Accounts/Password on computer that you are connecting to.

Tried that, but it still won't accept the password... strange. got around it by moving all my stuff to the shared folder, allowing everyone to acces it and logging in as guest.
thanx for the advice, though:) any thoughts on the mail thing? can i syncronize mailboxes in isync???

-squirrel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.