Script Editor section of Services menu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mduser63, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm working through AppleScript: The Missing Manual right now. On page 73 there is information about using the Services menu to run Applescript from text in other applications (like TextEdit). However, it doesn't work for me. I can type in exactly what the book shows, highlight it, select Script Editor->Get Result of AppleScript from the Services menu, and nothing at all happens. Other entries in the Services menu work (ex. Open URL in Camino), but none of the Script Editor services work. Is it just me, or is this a problem with Tiger?

Copying the exact same code from TextEdit into Script Editor and hitting run works, so it's the Services menu that's not working.

EDIT: This page talks about what I'm trying to do. It's tip number 4 on that page.

2. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Did you ever get this working? It wasn't working for me, then I did a reinstall of the OS. It started working again. Now, it's no longer working, again. When I create a new account on my Mac, it works in that account, however.

3. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well, it's working on my iMac which is only about 2 months old. It does not work on my PowerBook which has the same version of OS X (10.4.7). The PowerBook is running a copy of OS X that was installed on release day in April 2005, upgraded to 10.4.7 via Software Update, while the iMac is running the copy of OS X that came installed on it (also updated via SU).

It's could be a handy little feature, but it's not really reliable enough to be useful.