SCRIPT Kiddies!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eclipse525, Sep 3, 2003.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I read on another Forum that these people who write and release these worms randomly is not worse than those neighborhood kids pouring sugar in the gas tanks for cars for ****'s and giggles. I must agree. If you're gonna do something like that make sure there is a somewhat justified point. In a way I do feel there is a way to focus that energy to more intelligent attacks(perhaps not the best choice of word). One's that actually make a point. Attacks or warnings to people who are actually in the grand scheme of things are taking advantage of the public. I really don't have specific example or any one individual/institution in mind. Just curious to see your point of view on these Worms/viruses???

~e

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

1st of all, this thread is way off topic.

And no, dick heads who pour **** in people's gas tank are a totally different breed than those who takes out entire networks w/ silly little bugs. Property damage of sugar coated gas tank, hundreds to thousands of dollars. Property damage of financial and institutional network system being shut down for a day, millions.

Due to lame punishment and consequences to these dick heads, we have copy cats popping up left and right every damn day. They should all be treated as adults, put in federal pens and be some fugly old perv's ass poking ho.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you built a house, and you used windows from say Pella (a well-known window company in the midwest), and one of the features of the window was security... and then, someone breaks in, because one of the windows simply did not lock. Pella knew one of them wouldn't lock, they just hoped no one would try it. Who carries more blame, Pella or the burglar? I say, while the burglar is certainly responsible for his own actions, and should be prosecuted as such, if this happened to you you'd be suing the holy hell out of pella. It's a defective product, which caused danger and damage. So why can't windows get away with it, when Windows gets away with it??

pnw

4. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

slow down there cowboy!

Fuzzyballz

1st off you're probably right about this thread but didn't see any other section that it fit into and so here we are.......sorry if this ruined your day.

Now......that's one of the problems. You are judging the extent of the crime by the dollar signs, OPPOSE to the reason or result of the crime.(in this peticular case)....this is a lot more complicated than you make it out to be. A teenager's mentality is totally different, then let's say someone in there thirties. The reasons would be totally different. The scope of the problem is percieved differently. You just can't take a teenager and lock him up for life. Sure, I do believe that there should be some sort of punishment or program(using that word lightly) to show them or help them realize the extent of the crime. Locking them up for life will not do that. Just think of the **** they'll pull when they get out. Let's face it, these are bright kids, with amazing potential. Can you just dismiss that??? Think!

~e

5. iTag macrumors newbie

2 things

first the world is run by money
    second these kids are in a way teaching the rest of the world how things work and what should be fixed what should be better thought of we take computers for granted no matter what people say i know i do i havent used a pen and paper in years not for proper work at least.. these kids who make what ever to do what ever are deffently anoying but hell it just proves that there are holes every place no matter what big corps say COUGH COUGH MS....

I dont think anyone should be locked up for doing this sort of thing unless its to cause some one physical harm i mean reall physical harm bodily harm not cash flow problems

i for one would love to see some companys go down the pan becasuse they werent doing there job right. but thats just me and i aftter all just like using computers not causing problems ..

ANY hows we should be using Macs we dont have many of these problems like Windows users. i know theres a few things going around but no were near as many as Windows..

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Good point... BAD pun! :rolleyes:

If the script kiddies make too much trouble they might find themselves with an internet learner's permit. Restricted internet access for all people under 18....

But Paul is right, M$ just needs to fix their stuff. And they really cannot say that repairing it would cost too much.

M$ has been releasing several patches in the last week. It makes me think that either:

a. they are finally testing their stuff
    b. the are just starting to fix all of the security holes that they already know about.
    c. marketing greenlighted releasing all of the patches that they already had in waiting for release. (Since we know marketing rules M$ and not technology.)

7. dcb macrumors member

Gimme a break. Let me make sure I am understanding you people correctly:

1. A virus is ok because it is teaching Microsoft a lesson
    2. These kids shouldn't be punished or spend time in jail because they are smart.
    3. It is ultimately MS's fault.

What if one of these "bright" kids attacked OSX? What would you say then? I would bet you guys woiuld have your scalpals out ready to castrate them.

These kids are criminals...no they are terrorists. They are attacking the very infrastructure of companies and causing the type of damage that affects everyone (whether you own a pc or a mac).

There is a basic premise of right and wrong. Legal and illegal. These hackers are knowingly doing something illegal and they are affecting millions of victims.

At any rate, see Macs are more secure...this has turned into a repost.

8. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Someone once said that, 'Today's youth and there actions are a direct reflection of the people who run society'...

....if this is true, then who's to blame and/or the fact that we have to blame or find someone to blame for an action. Instead of finding the basic underlying reason for the action in the first place. You can try and justify that the poor companies and there customers are under attack till you're blue in the face BUT God forbid someone try to analyze why such things happen. Perhaps then you'd see less and less of this sort of thing and maybe...just maybe see society move in a different direction. If people should accept responsiblity for their actions so should the companies. Need I mention M$, Enron, Worldcomm., Etc.....

Trust me, it seems like I'm way off topic but like I said it's deeper than just a kid distributing a virus to a poor company that affects people.

Think ' Ripple Affect '

~e

9. dcb macrumors member

That is a terrorist mentality. Think...Micrososft doesn't have my same values...so lets attack or condone attacking them! Viruses aren't going to change the world...it's just going to piss people off. Do you think any higher of Al Queda or extremest muslims because they go around blowing people up?

I don't mind anyone analyzing anything. But please forgive me when I say that you analysis lacks merit and do not be condescending to me simply because I disagree with your terrorist mentality!

As for being deep...I did that in college...learned pretty quick life is pretty simple and the real problems occur when you over analyze simple ideals (right and wrong, legal and illegal).

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Here's the difference:

The kid pouring sugar into a gas tank is a criminal and an idiot.

The script kiddie who releases the worm is a criminal who is obviously smart enough to know better.

11. chadfromdallas macrumors member

These kids should be punished with jail time. Who cares if they are smart or attack windows because windows has problems. Doesn't excuse it. If a house didn't have a lock on it and someone walked in, they would be arrested. Same should be done about this.

12. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

ok....let's keep it simple...

There is no such thing as 'right or wrong' until you decide it is one or the other. Life is all about perception.

I did not intend the previous posting to be condescending. My apologies. Please don't mistake why I started this Thread. I'm just trying to bring a different view on this subject. I am truly enjoying the dialog.

Oh and for the record...I don't agree with these idiots releasing virus to the public. It's cowardly way of proving a point. IF in there mind, there actually is one.

~e