Script to minimise windows at start up?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billyboy, Aug 7, 2004.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

This isnt a matter of life and death, but I restart my PB once a week and once the start up items have loaded, each time it takes a couple of extra minutes to sort out the desk top, put things in the dock and get myself set up ready to go.

Anyone got any tips on getting OSX to do this routine for me?

I seem to remember that Windows opens apps in the equivalent of the dock.

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Why not just check off the box for "hide" next to each startup item in your users pane in preferences.

3. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

Maybe I am mistaken, but I think I have a couple of apps( one related to the scanner and one for iCalalarm scheduler) ticked off to be hidden and on a restart they appear nowhere in the dock, and dont appear in a menu bar.

Can you confirm that an app like Safari etc would open in the dock if hiding was selected in start up items. If so I will give it a go next week.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you select to open an app "hidden" you don't get a minimized window on the right of the dock, but there will be the little black triangle underneath the normal icon on the dock for the application. This is for normal apps -- stuff like the ical scheduler will not show up anywhere except activity monitor.

My startup launches AdBk, iCal and iSync as hidden. You can get to any of them by clicking the dock icon to unhide or cmd-tabbing.

5. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

Thanks for that. There is my script :)