Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddictann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I like my scrollbar arrows on the bottom, together. The other day, I noticed this no longer happened in Camino or Word (I'm pretty sure it was like that before). My Finder windows showed them correctly. Anyway, I shut down and restarted, figuring it was a hiccup, and now none of them are set right, even though it's set that way in my preferences. Is there a preferences file I should trash or something, maybe?

Thanks.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't have a solution, but I have Word and Camino and the scroll bars do take the settings from the control panel, so you definietly have a problem somewhere. :confused:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....try using TinkerTool to "reset" it to what you prefer - you can download from Version Tracker and it is free....oh yeah!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You've repaired permissions? I know it seems like the answer to everything on these forums but in this case, I reckon it might actually work.

macaddictann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I just did, actually. It finished this second. I was a bit surprised at how many items it found since it hasn't been long since I last did it, but I guess that's just the way. Anyway, I haven't restarted anything since it finished, so I should try that real quick.

The only thing I've done somewhat differently lately is used Cocktail Express, and I ran a big ol' check, stuff I didn't even need to do. I like to think that, given its intention, it wouldn't cause problems, so I'm going to assume it's a system hiccup (or burp or something), which hardly surprises me at all considering how long I leave it on, etc.

I'll look into TinkerTool. Thanks.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...if indeed you've hosed the pref file then it is com.apple.finder.plist (in your home/library/preferences folder of course)...that you are looking for....oh yeah!

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
If you ever need to check the preferences file when an application is acting up, you can find it in your Library in a directory called Preferences. The file is called com.(name of company).(application name).plist so for example com.apple.dock.plist would be the Dock preferences file. It's usually a good idea to move the file to another directory instead of deleting it right away. The application will create a new and fresh file the next time it boots and if you find out that it's not the prefs file, you can always restore your preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.