Scrolling fonts in Flash freezes computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tech4all, Dec 18, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Whenever I try to scroll in the fonts lists in Flash MX everything freezes up and I have to turn my computer off via the power button. And on the second time the fonts' color are reversed; like the name of the font is white and the background in the sample box in black. I was thinking of reinstalling Flash but I thought I should post here first :) Any ideas? :confused:

EDIT: I also notice that when Flash is starting up and it says 'loading fonts' or something like that, it pauses there for a moment. It used to be longer but now its only ~5 seconds.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Have you downloaded the latest Flash update (7.0.2)?

3. ferrisb macrumors member

I'm having a similar issue with Flash. Only my copy of Flash doesn't want to launch. The splash screen appears, it begins to display the various start-up messages, then hangs on "Initializing Fonts". If I leave it going, eventually Flash will start after about five minutes. I was on the phone with Macromedia for about 3-4 hours trying to resolve this Friday, and I still haven't fixed it.

I'm using Flash 7.2, and I haven't had any issues with it until Friday. Now I have to work all weekend because I couldn't get my office mac to work with Flash.

4. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

No, I think I have 7.0.1 as of now. I may try the update and see if that helps or reinstall Flash.

Any other ideas to what's up with the font scrolling in Flash? :confused: I hope this problem gets resolved soon. Really frusterating to have the computer freeze then have to turn it off and back on again via the power button just because I'm scrolling through fonts :mad:

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I had that the other day. It was resolved by repairing permissions, after fixing something in application support it started working again. There is still a little pause for about 5 or so seconds before proceeding. However, I don't have any additional fonts installed on my computer, which could be an issue.

6. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

I do have some fonts that I installed from my PC. But I didn't have this problem the whole time, it just started less than a month ago.

7. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Update

Ok I did the update: nothing. I reinstalled Flash: nothing. For some reason Flash just freezes up the computer I think when I go over a certain font. I'm not sure which font it is though. This is really irratating :mad:

EDIT: Seems like it also affects the system's fonts throughtout the GUI. Like Flash crashes and I get this pop-up window with no text. Just a stylized "!" and two buttons which one is a glowing blue. I assume thats a crash window for Flash but with no text. Then some of the icons in my dock have letters missing from them. The menu bars' drop down windows are blank or look odd. The icons on my desktop are slightly mis aligned and have no text with them. Then I did a power down via the power button and it gave me a beachball thing at the desktop after reboot, power downed again and it was OK. At times when I rebooted the computer never actually "shut down" but stayed a blue screen, then all of the sudden went to the desktop.

The computer is OK now. But something is really messed up with Flash and possibly a font(s) since this happens when I "try" to scroll the font menu. I noticed to that some fonts don't seem to have a preview. I dunno, im so confused now and frustrated. I'm thinking of just reinstalling OS X and clear anything that may have caused it. All my other apps work just fine: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, FreeHand, even MS Word.....I knew Flash seemed buggy on OS X and all but this is ridicolous. Ok I'll stop now, im getting tired and need to get on with my life....until tomorrow that is :(