Scrolling Matrix-y Text Effect

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by syco, Jan 24, 2004.

1. syco macrumors member

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm trying to achieve the effect of scrolling text that you see in the beginning of any of the three Matrix movies, the beginning of any of the things from the Animatrix, etc. I have Final Cut Express and iMovie. Has anybody tried this and had any success or failure in an attempt for this? Thanks.
  2. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    You can do it with FCE, but you're looking at days of work to make it look good and work well. And i don't mean like an hour or two a day, I mean like 72 hours of work. The way that you do it is with the TEXT Generator. Let's say we're doing numbers. So you open the TG you type in a random number a line, up to 7 or 8 characters at 12pt. Then you drag that text over to your Canvas. Now you activate Image + Wireframe mode and move the image to the top corner. Open up the Motion tab and activate the Keyframe for Center. Then scrub ahead in the timeline, select your frame and Shift + Click (to move straight horizontally or vertically) on it and drag it down. Now you have one linear line of Matrixy movement. Repeat over and over again, and you have to Poor man's Matrix scoller. You could even get a Matrix font off of the web to use to make it look more Matrixy. Spend enough time and you can make a Matrixy scroller with your own characters that looks as good as the orginal.

LiveType for FCP 4 has several Matrix-like animations that come with it, but the characters are not configurable.