Scrolling News?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seabass069, May 27, 2006.

1. seabass069 macrumors regular

Is there a program that will scroll the news accross the desktop? It would be like CNN or Fox's scrolling news at the bottom of the t.v.

2. portent macrumors 6502a

They don't exactly scroll, but the BBC and CNN both have dashboard widgets...

The AIM client has a news ticker, and I'm sure there are RSS tickers out there that could subscribe to anything with an RSS feed (including CNN)

3. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

You might want to have a look at Yahoo Widgets - widgets.yahoo.com. In some (some!) ways this app is even more useful than Dashboard, in that you can easily have the widgets right on the desktop - and you set them to be transparent. Download the app and then go to the Gallery and search for 'ticker'. There's a few RSS scrollers there. You don't need to press F12 or whatever to view them, they can be there all the time.

I'm pretty sure there is a hack of some kind to get Dashboard widgets to stay on the desktop, but I can't remember what it is. I'm using a combination of Yahoo Widgets and Dashboard and its great.

4. seabass069 thread starter macrumors regular

You would think by now that CNN and FOX would have an application made for windows and MAC that would allow you to have a ticker in-place of the desktop taskbar. Infact, I would like to see one that is constantly running, and the taskbar hides until you need it.

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

6. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I use Newsreader. Its not a "ticker", but its awesome for checking out your favourite RSS feeds in a few clicks. Also, it's free :)