Scrolling touchpad (or other advanced features)?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

My Dell Inspiron comes with a Synaptics touchpad, and has the ability to enable scrolling (both horizontal and vertical) on by dragging your fingertip either down the right side, or across the lower edge of the touchpad.

When I went into the local Apple store a few weeks ago and played with the Powerbook, I noticed that it didn't have this ability.

I use this quite a bit in documents (word, txt, spreadsheets, web pages, etc) and would definitely miss this feature should I move to the Mac.

Is there any way to enable this (tweak, another program,etc)?

Thanks.

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

not under OS X at least. and since the new ones only boot into X ....

you see apple has APIs for every little dot on that screena dn ever millimetre on that trackpad etc. BUT they choose not to tell the developer community about them.

instead we are left up to ourselves to find out about them. We do, think menu extras ...

basically, i am afraid no. not now that the mac is fully steved.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Dang! What I really want is a hack that lets me use my iBooks button for right-click. So I'd tap on the trackpad for left-click, and click the button for right click. Ctrl-click just isn't a substitute for right-click :(

4. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. Although disappointing, I'm not sure if it's a deal-killer.

So what happens if you ctrl-click in Mozilla (when you want to open the link in a new tab)? Which takes precedence?

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Cmd key

I dont know what happens. I think you will findd it has been substituted by Cmd-Click.

This normally happens as windows users donthave three modifier buttons