Scrolling without a scroll wheel?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by therevolution, Oct 24, 2006.

1. therevolution macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a Logitech Marble Mouse, and while it's pretty nice, I really miss having a scroll wheel. I was wondering if anyone knows of a software solution to give scroll wheel functionality to a regular mouse or trackball... I'm envisioning something like holding down a combination of ctrl, alt, or cmd keys and moving the trackball to do the scrolling.

My searches have turned up nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. iVersa macrumors 6502

Considering my Mighty Mouse scroller just broke, I'd be interested in a similar thing!

Would make sense to be able to (like you say) hold down something like apple > alt and then move the mouse downwards/upwards to get a scroll going.

3. therevolution thread starter macrumors 6502

It's funny; the same thing happened to me, which is why I had to fall back on the Marble Mouse. Maybe Apple needs to work on that...

4. therevolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody knows anything, huh?

Hmm, I've been looking for a personal project... I wonder how difficult it would be to do it myself...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't the scroll buttons work on your trackball? They work on mine. :confused:

Spacebar and Shift + Spacebar seem to work for scrolling otherwise. Don't try it in a text box though. :rolleyes:

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

7. therevolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the scroll buttons work, as well as space bar and arrow keys. But I don't like scrolling in fixed-size chunks, I want the control that a wheel gives you, where the scrolling speed matches the speed at which you're moving the wheel.

8. smirking macrumors 6502

I have an expensive workaround solution that works for me. I just use the Apple Magic Mouse as my detached scroll wheel. Every once in a while, my hand gets sore from using the mouse so I replace my Razer Imperator with a DT225 trackball mouse. To regain the scroll wheel, I place an Apple Magic Mouse right next to it so I can scroll with my thumb.

In an alternate configuration, I've sometimes put the Magic Mouse on the opposite side of my keyboard so I scroll with my left hand instead.