Scrolling?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hunts121, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I couldn't find anything on it.

Is there any particular reason scrolling seems to be so difficult for a mac? My Powerbook stutters on webpages (using Firefox 1.5.0.4, Safari too) when smooth scrolling is enabled. My Pentium III (866MHz, 512MB RAM + GeForce 2 Ultra) doesn't even break a sweat doing such things. My Powerbook bests that computer by far in every category possible yet can't do that? Is it something to do with the way MacOS itself works vs Windows or is it just sloppy programming? I'm not trying to bitch I'm just curious as I don't understand haha.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know...somehow I've never been able to stand smooth scrolling on any platform. But I do notice it isn't that great on OS X....

3. stoavio macrumors member

stoavio

I've never had a problem with scrolling (I was a Windows user for over 8 years before switching) but I definitely notice less precision in the mouse.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This could be true, but....this may also have to do with the acceleration profile in OS X... OS X doesn't really give you a choice over this, but a lot of switchers find it to be frustrating. It might not be an issue of precision so much as being accustomed to one acceleration profile (or no acceleration).

Look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207317

A couple of programs are discussed which enhance your control in this arena.

I know that it can be frustrating, because I'm used to acceleration since before I used Windows or OS X, and when I get on Windows computers without acceleration, it drives me insane! I could see the opposite happening....