SCSI 68pin with 80pin adapter in PowerMac G4 AGP, no sense?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cox Orange, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hello,

I got 4 SCSI drives for free. 2x Seagate Cheetah ST173404LCV 73GB Hard Drive, 10,000 rpm, 16 MB buffer, 80pol U160 SCSI, SCA and 2x IBM, 7200rpm DRHS-36 (confusing is, that the last 2 are described as 68pin and 80pin here http://www.netcomdirect.com/ibmdrul36367.html)

I do not know, if they work, but I plan to keep one, if one works, in my PowerMac G4 AGP.

The Mac seems to have a 68pin connector (I can only see 80pin connectors on the Drives), would it make sense to use an adapter? Or would that be totally dull? Would that work anyway?
    I would not do it for the speed only, but more to have a third drive on a seperate cable (I have one IDE on the IDE and one on an ATA-133-PCI-CARD).

I found the SCSI-capabilities for PowerMacs here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3074?viewlocale=de_DE

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The G4's never had built in SCSI so you must have the Adaptec PCI card.

This may very well do the trick for you.

3. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, I somehow misinterpreted the unused airport-slot for an SCSI-port (how awkward for me :eek: ).

So, if I install an adaptec PCI card (I see them going for 1eur at ebay), will the overall speed on the PCI-busses drop? (I mean having one allready in use for the ATA-133 card). In other words will the IDE-PCI attached Drive and the SCSI-PCI attached card canibalize each other when used at the sam time?

Plus will the konverter 80-68pin, drop the speed an additionally (versus using a 68pin drive directly attached)?

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

PCI in the G4 towers tends to be quite good at balancing the overall bandwidth of the logic board PCI bus evenly between the expansion cards.

I have one of those Adaptec SCSI cards you can have for free if you pay shipping. I will never use it. It's not worth enough to ask anything for it.

5. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

That's very kind of you! But I live in Germany, so shipping cost would be a lot I guess, so I will get me one were I live, on ebay(dot)de for 1EUR plus domestic shipping (2-4EUR). But thank you, though! Really nice of you!

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

No problem. Ebay would be cheaper yes. It would cost about $12-15 Canadian to ship it.