SCSI drives and 2930U2 controller vrs firewire

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jedolson, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jedolson macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2003
    Using standard B&W G3...and looking to add external drive for video editing purpose.

Will my adaptec 2930 U2 card work in my G3, can't seem to find a definitive answer?

If not, is the transfer rate of 40mbps on a 2940UW 'fast' enough to use for this application (video)...assumption being that I would buy a drive that would utilize the speed of the card.

Any SCSI drive recomendations for this configuration?

Is this just plain stupid and I should just buy an external firewire drive?

Note: I already have both a 2930U2 and a 2940UW and a external SCSI drive enclosure.

Is the SCSI drive I might build competitive (speedwise) with the standard B&W G3 firewire ?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    FW400 doesn't quite make the cut, speedwise, since a ATA-133 card and an internal ATA drive is still faster.

The new Oxford 922 chips (external FW800 chip) are a bit better, but you don't have a new machine.

Though I don't know if anyone did a comparison of these new 922 chips vs. the old Oxford 911s (FW400 bridge chip) on a FW400 Mac.

Meaning I don't know if a FW800 drive on a FW400 System would overcome some of the problems people have run into on external FW400 enclosures for FW video capture.

Take a look at the 5/10/03 test...
  3. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    how much $$ are you willing to spend? And how much storage do you expect you'll need... SCSI is still a very expensive option, Im looking at replacing my drives, but the cost would be enormous.. i could get a dual g5 for what I would be spending.
    If you need ALOT of space or worried about noise/heat, i'd go with the ATA...
  4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you editing DV or uncompressed video? An external FW400 HDD is more than enough DV. If you are going uncompressed you'll need SCSI. FW 800 is kind of piontless for external HDDs until the HDD themselves get faster. FW400 provides enough band width to handle uncompressed Standard Def video, but the HDD sitting in the FW enclosure is the weak link that can't keep up.