Scuff on my LCD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greenguy4, Jun 20, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I have a little scuff on the bottom of my LCD. I tried using some iKlear but it didn't take it off so what can I use that will clean this off? This thing is going to drive me CRAZY!

2. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

do you have any idea what it is? is it ON the screen like chocolate or something?

3. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

No it was in my pocket and got a little mark on it. Its not deep at all though so I figured there is a way to remove it. Maybe toothpaste would work?

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Your iBook was in your pocket?! Do you mean like backpack or case pocket?

5. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoops --- ya sorry. My backpack pocket haha I have one of those ones that you can open it up and use it while it is sort of inside and something rubbed against the screen. To be perfectly honest I have no idea how it happened, but all i know is there is a little spot on the screen. Just some bad dumb luck... So any idea on what to do?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it safe to sort of massage the iklear stuff into the scuff for a minute or two? It might take a little more *gentle* action than just wiping it if it's a deeper scratch. I know that when the keyboard marks my screen (but this is oil and not scratches) that it takes a little bit of very gentle elbow work to get it to clean off....

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmm I want to help and I'm sure others do, but there's no miracle formula out there for removing scuffs on iBook screens. =\

I have an idea. I have this stuff called Lemon Oil or something. Some cleaning thing. I scuffed the top of my quicksilver with the apple pro speaker and it left like a streak. It wasn't really a "scratch" kind of like a scrape. I just rubbed it with the oil and it looks almost new. It was hard to remove the greasy feel though but it worked. I would be scared to use too much on your screen though, as you don't want to ruin the whole iBook.

What does the scuff look like. Is it really dug into the screen like scratched? Or something rubbed off on it? More info will help me think of more cleaning products. :)

8. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks more like something just rubbed of on to it. Trying to think of howelse I can describe a "scuff." Just a little marking on the bottom... a VERY VERY VERY light scratch.

9. Rev.D.Gilmartin macrumors newbie

Scuff Treatment

I've not tried this on an LCD, but "erasing" markings with a soft gum eraser works for me when the scuff mark is something deposited on the base.

10. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried the eraser and was not successful... Any idea's will be taken seriously ;-)!

11. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Toothpaste also a no go... That was the scariest thing I have ever done in my life. I slowly and carefully rubbed it on with a Q-Tip and then cleared it off with a light cloth and then some iKlear

12. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Ask a person at the Genius bar. The might have a buffer or something...you never know!

14. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Haven't tried it yet but I've bought Wipe Out cd/dvd repairer (hasn't arrived yet) I'm going to try it out on my Samsung D500 screen which is scratched to hell because of the environment that I work in (engineering) but will let you know if it works when I get it if you want.