Scuffed iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefanboy5, Dec 24, 2012.

1. macrumors member

If i first had a black iPhone 5 and then i exchanged it for a white one hoping it wouldn't be scratched out of the box what options do i have left? I already exchanged from Verizon and they have a one return/exchange policy. Will apple help me replace for a new device if i explain to them my problem?

2. SnowLeopard OSX, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

If you didn't purchase the phone from Apple, I don't think they will exchange it.

3. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No Apple will not let you exchange for a new device.

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

No matter where you bought your iphone its still covered by Apples 1 year applecare warranty.
    And yes you can bring it to them and have it replaced if they approve it for cosmetic defects.

5. macrumors 68040

F123D

If you swap it out at apple, you'll probably get one in a white box and most likely its a reconditioned phone.

6. macrumors newbie

Anyone know the difference between the black and the silver color process? Is the black iphone having extra paint on top of the silver aluminum?
    So since white iphone doesn't have that extra black paint, it is less likely that the paint would come off?

7. Insulin Junkie, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's anodized, meaning the back is fairly scratch resistant on both models. It's the edges of the phone by the screen that chip and scuff easily, and you'll see the silver color coming through on the black version. Both the back and the screen are fairly scratch-proof.

8. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes Apple will swap it out for a refurbished. Sounds like OP is wanting a brand new device.

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

They all want a brand new one.
    99% of them cant tell the difference anyway:D

10. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol yup! If they want new just return if they are in the return window and buy a new one.