sd card for wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by RoxStrongo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i'm looking to get an sd card for my wii and i know that it only supports 2gb modules which is fine for now. but does the read/write speed have much of an impact on playback of movie files? can anyone reccomend what sort of speed i should be looking for? also how is going getting media to stream from a mac?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Only supporting 2GB modules is BS. Who told you that? They're liars. :p

I honestly don't know how much the Wii takes advantage of higher speed SD cards. If you're concerned though, they're not that expensive to get. And it will really help you out when you're transferring files from your Mac, especially if you get a 2GB card and plan on using a lot of that space!

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought that was true too. I read that although you can use the 4gb card it only uses/see's the same amount of blocks as 2gb card, therefore limiting the card.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

This is my understanding too (that 2GB is the max). According to http://www.4allmemory.com/info/nintendowiispecifications.htm the 4GB cards are currently unsupported "It may read from the card, but will not write to it.".

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

My low-end 2MB/sec SD card handles a massive 700 MB video file (with roughly 20 mins of video) flawlessly so I don't think you should be too worried about read/write speed.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Oh, I took RoxStrongo's message to read "2GB and only 2GB", meaning no 512MB, 1GB, etc. My bad. To be fair, that's what "only supports 2GB" means when read correctly. ;)

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Make sure to NOT format it on a Palm. My Wii couldn't read my SD card until I finally formatted on my dad's camera. I was using the SD card for my Palm for a while.

BTW, San Disk doesn't make those "gaming" SD cards anymore do they? They came in neon/flourescent colors and look like the current Memory Stick cards for the PSP. It's a shame I can't find those anymore. They looked nice... :p

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought 2 x 2gb SD cards. The wii saw them both, but when I put them in a mem card reader and into my mac it said disk needed to be intilized.

Unfortunetly it didnt give the option for FAT16 and tried to format them at FAT32 and killed them both.

Be very careful. Be very very careful ;)

9. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i do apologise. i should of said 'up to 2gb' but i was in a hurry and hoped people would get the jist.

so what would be the correct way to format them for use on a mac and on the wii?

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If I wasn't totally out of it from a cold, I probably would have understood. :)

I have the over-priced SanDisk Wii branded SD card and I didn't have to format it to use in the Wii or with my Mac. It's FAT16 formatted, same as my SanDisk UBS flash drive.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's probably why it's over priced. It's a better quality card no doubt.

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

That's why I wanted it. And if it's Nintendo approved...

Actually I *guess* it's close to the price of the SanDisk Ultra II 1GB cards, but those can be had cheaper. It's kinda like buying RAM from Apple. You know you're getting a good product, but...

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's why I think the 2 lower cos(cost) SD cards I bought were like they were. A friend brought over his camera yesterday with a san disk 1gb card in it and I tried that in my mem card readr(reader) on my mac - to see if its(it was) my hardware at fault - and it showed up straight away and had teh(the) Fat16 formating option too, so I guess its a case of false economy. Dont save a few $/£/€ on a cheaper card because if it craps out like mine, then i can cost more in the long run (I can cost more, ;) It should be; it could cost more).

edit : my god spell check. :eek: It's probably best not to use wii browser when wishing to post somthing quickly. :)

14. TurnerMan macrumors member

TurnerMan

I was at WalMart last week looking for a 1GB SD card and ran across the Wii version card - no different than the 1GB card I bought, but it was about $5 cheaper than normal. What's the difference?

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

I don't know what the difference is, but Friday I stopped by Fry's and they had some 1GB cards for 18.99 so I picked one up. It's not a common brand (Patriot, I think) but the Wii recognized it and we were able to view photos and play mp3s. So for $20, I say who cares about the brand. Even the guy at EB games said that there was no difference in the cards. (For reference, the 1GB Wii cards were $50). Though he did say that there was supposed to be some exclusive content preloaded on the Wii branded cards, but it was pulled at the last minute.

16. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Newegg had a special where they were selling Pny 2GB SD cards for 19.99. Not sure what the price is now, but it seems to work fine in my Wii.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There's none. It's there to prevent customer confusion. Mom and pop want to get their kid a memory card, instead of having to learn the difference between SD and CF and XD and MS, they just look for the one with the word "Wii" on it.

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have been utterly unable to find the specs of the Wii branded card, but it's exactly the same as their "Gaming SD" cards. Which coincidentally, I also can't find the specs for. I don't know how it stacks up against other SD cards, or SanDisk's Ultra II SD cards.

19. tripleanica macrumors newbie

well, i just recently got my 2 gig sandisk SD card for my wii. i connected it to my mac and it worked fine, so i put a couple of songs and pics just to test it out. then i connected it to my wii, it still worked fine. i then decided to put more music and pictures on the card but when i connected it to my mac it wouldn't mount at all. i restarted my computer, still nothing. the system profiler detects my reader, so i have no clue why the card isn't showing up, i would like to reformat it, but disk utility doesn't see it either. any suggestions?

20. TurnerMan macrumors member

TurnerMan

It seems as though when insert into the Wii it uses a proprietary format (as I expected it would) which renders it useless on other systems after use on the Wii. This may not be true, but that's what I would expect when a memory card is "designed" for the Wii.

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nope, not the case. The Wii cretes a private folder, that's prety much it. You can still use the SD card on at least a Mac. I don't care to try it on my PC at the moment, but I don't see why it would be any different.

<]=)

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'll confirm that it works.

RE: the available blocks, though, maybe you can only save so much Wii data on the card (so many blocks) but that photo, music and movies can occupy as much space as they want to (IE: Greater than 2GB worth on a 4GB card)