SD Card Reader Won't Mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jasontaylor, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jasontaylor macrumors newbie

I have a problem mounting any card reader on my G5 iSight OS X 10.4.8. I simply cannot get it to mount. It says no driver required (I have tried three others and returned them to the store) but I can't get it to work. The one I have at present is an Advent RDR-ALL and I am trying to read/write a micro SD card (from my Samsung D900 cell phone) which is in an SD adaptor.

If any of you clever people can help I would very much appreciate it.

Jason

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

I don't know if you're doing this, but just plugging the card reader into your Mac won't do anything—unlike on Windows, where it'll suddenly report that there are a whole load new 'drives' with no disks in them. On the Mac, it'll only mount once you plug the card into the reader. If it's not mounting when you put it in to the reader, then you have a problem with (1) the card reader (or cable); (2) the Micro SD—SD adaptor; or (3) both of them. Perhaps try, if you can, with a different cable, in a different port on your Mac, and then work out what you can do about replacing the card reader.

3. jasontaylor thread starter macrumors newbie

SD Card Reader Wont Mount (OS X)

Thanks Richard. I am trying the reader with card inserted and I have tried it in all my USB ports. Like you I thought it must be a reader problem and returned the two previous readers to the shop where I bought them but each reader does the same thing - nothing! SO, either I need a 'special reader' to use on a Mac (which is not my understanding), or there is a setting somewhere I need to change, or I have been the unluckiest person in the world and the last three readers I have tried have all been faulty.

4. jasontaylor thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution

I have resolved the issue I think. I managed to get an SD card from a camera to mount in the reader on my Mac, thereby establishing that the reader is not faulty. The micro SD card works in my mobile, so that is not faulty either. Therefore it must be the adaptor that is faulty.

As Shirlock Holmes said, "When you have eliminated all other possibilities then whatever you are left with, however unlikely, must be the truth" (or words to that effect). :)