Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxaMillion711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
hello

I have this card reader

31TdjtmNvYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

i have this brand new SD card

v49168

when I plug the card reader in....and put the SD card in...the card reader blinks the light...and then, on my disk utility...all i see is this:

picture1wi8.png

...so it does not show up on the desktop. it seems i cant mount it. i cant erase it or anything...it says "permission denied" when i try to format it....

any ideas?

here is this also

picture2jo3.png

i have a mac pro too

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Is the little LOCK switch slid to the LOCK position?

I believe that the Belkin "disk" that shows up is actually your new card. If it shows up in disk utilities than it is mounted, just because it isn't showing on the desktop it should show up in finder.

To get it to show on the desktop, go into finder preferences and make sure you have the "external disk" box checked.

dashard

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
New York City
Same issue here. Slightly different Card (2Gb Kingston SD) and slightly different Card reader, but same problem. I get an error...

tmp-error.jpg

If I proceed to initialize it, it seems to spin its whells a bit but then throws up an error I've actually never seen before in :apple: Disk Utility...

tmp-error2.jpg

I'm stymied right now. And no, it's NOT LOCKED!
Anyone? Any ideas?

dashard

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
New York City
If it shows up in disk utilities than it is mounted, just because it isn't showing on the desktop it should show up in finder.
You are passing around completely inaccurate information. "Visible to the operating system" does not equal mounted. There's a "disk" (which this is) and there's a "Volume," which is what mounts and appears on the Desktop.

If the "disk" has not been formatted with a "Volume" then the disk is indeed visible to the OS but there is nothing "mounted."

Wanting to help is great, but it's kind of like guessing at driving directions when asked, but not telling the person who's lost that you're guessing. Not such a great thing to do. :confused:

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Are these brandnew SD card - ie unformatted ?

Are you going to use them in a camera or PDA or something - if so format the cards on those devices.

Are you going to use them as storage or something ?

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Same problem

What a perfect thread - I'm having a similar problem as dashard. However, my card and reader are not "visible" to the operation system (i.e., they do not show up in disk utility). I use the card in a Canon SD750 digital camera. I've formatted the card using the camera itself, but that didn't seem to help any. My suspicion is that the card needs to be initialized, but I don't know how to do this if my computer doesn't know the card exists! Any insights are greatly appreciated!

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
You are passing around completely inaccurate information. "Visible to the operating system" does not equal mounted. There's a "disk" (which this is) and there's a "Volume," which is what mounts and appears on the Desktop.

If the "disk" has not been formatted with a "Volume" then the disk is indeed visible to the OS but there is nothing "mounted."

Wanting to help is great, but it's kind of like guessing at driving directions when asked, but not telling the person who's lost that you're guessing. Not such a great thing to do. :confused:

Actually, I was saying that if you have "Show External Disks on Desktop" box unchecked as I have pictured here a volume won't be visible on the desktop BUT it would show up in Finder as I was alluding to, therefore the information I gave out was not incorrect your interpretation of it was.

Another possible solution suggestion would be if the cards (not the OP) are SDHC cards a standard card reader won't work, you'll need an SDHC reader or direct hook up to the device (i.e. camera).

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 17,104

DottoreFausto

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Problem Mounting SD Card - through HP PSC-1350 All-in-one

Similar problem here. I just purchased an SD HC card (for whatever HD stands for) and cannot mount it when inserted in the card reader. The only way is throught USB-cable between camera and Macbook Pro. I'd like to mount and initialize it or download software that will enable the card-reader on my printer.

Any clues? Formating with the camera did not do it.

I've read somewhere on a French posting that NTFS-3G could be useful. I don't understand what it stands for and if it would work. Has anybody tried that?

Any other hints please?

Thanks,

Simon

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Similar problem here. I just purchased an SD HC card (for whatever HD stands for) and cannot mount it when inserted in the card reader. The only way is throught USB-cable between camera and Macbook Pro. I'd like to mount and initialize it or download software that will enable the card-reader on my printer.

Any clues? Formating with the camera did not do it.

I've read somewhere on a French posting that NTFS-3G could be useful. I don't understand what it stands for and if it would work. Has anybody tried that?

Any other hints please?

Thanks,

Simon

Is you reader able to read SDHC cards? HC (High Capacity) cards can't be read by older readers, the newer readers are backwards compatible with standard SD cards.

sirmarksalot

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Same issue here. Slightly different Card (2Gb Kingston SD) and slightly different Card reader, but same problem. I get an error...

tmp-error.jpg

If I proceed to initialize it, it seems to spin its whells a bit but then throws up an error I've actually never seen before in :apple: Disk Utility...

tmp-error2.jpg

I'm stymied right now. And no, it's NOT LOCKED!
Anyone? Any ideas?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But it seems nobody has answered this question. I have the similar problem, pretty frustrating not being able to get your videos from the SD card to the computer.

jsheets19

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
My experience.

Same reader and a Lexar Media reader.

I cannot get these readers to work to save my life. They are fine on a PC but will not work with a Mac.

I have found you can use your camera as a reader/hard drive. Hook up the camera with the SD card that you wish to add info to or dump from. Use it as a hard drive.

You must format the disk to the camera.

If I can figure out a way to get the darn readers to work, I will come back for sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.