SD Cards on Revolution set in stone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DevilDog, Mar 19, 2006.

1. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

I AM going to buy a Revolution no matter what. And you can put SD Cards in it for game saves, etc. But, I want to know if that's still conceptual or set in stone because I want to buy a camera and want to know if I should make sure it's an SD so I can switch between the two, I'd probably start out at a gig. I don't mind sharing the card, I'll just empty all the pictures off after I shoot.

Also, there's no way the SD card would be formatted for one or the other so it would only work with that one? Oorah.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The price of a 1 GB SD card is currently around half what it was as recently as December. Compared with the camera and console, a little more flash, if you need it, is going to seem like nothing.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

SD cards are the memory storage medium of choice on the Revolution. Down to Nintendo's new non-exclusive image, I mean everyone has an SD card these days or at £15 for a 64mb card (maybe even a 128mb) at least console buyers can afford them.

I doubt the SD card would need a reformat. But there will be some kind of specific system-only (iTunes style) playback of the downloaded games I reckon. Stopping piracy and that.

The Rev also has USB Ports. chances are you'd be able to hook up a pen drive or external HDD too.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, Nintendo said it on their web site, so I'd assume it's set in stone. That's the best I can give you.

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

linky

here's a a linky... looks like 512mb built-in, with SD expansion

nintendo website

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, it has 512 MB of built in flash memory instead of a hard drive, so you don't even need an SD card at all, but they can be used to expand it.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

And take your game saves to your friends house, and download gamesaves/cheats from the net.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What amazes me is how cheap SD cards can be, with their massive user base, yet XD can cost more (though actually being tougher than SD) but Sony take the biscuit with Memory Stick. Massively overpriced and the weakest of all memory cards.

*loves SD, and a little CF*

9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Yeah, if you're looking for a camera you're probably going to want one with SD anyways.

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Point and shoot ... the only cameras i've ever had are CF and Memory stick/Pro. I have yet to own an SD; the pins on SD/XD are way too exposed for general usage and too small to find in a large bag. I can throw my CF cards around and they don't break nor do i loose them. I put up with the Memory cards 'cause i have a soft spot for sony ... that hardned up though, when they ruined the DSC series.

peace | neut

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I love SD cards.

They're so tiny and versitile, plus they're very cheap. Perfect choice by Nintendo.

Now if we could get a PSP with a SD slot I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. >>

12. neut macrumors 68000

neut

DS lite Rev.2 (domestic)? :D

peace | neut

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There was a test in Computer Active I think it was, surely another Brit could clarify, but they tested all the memory cards. Not a speed test but a survival test! I can't remember the details but I giggled at the Memory Stick being extremely weak, they even recommended NOT getting a camera that used them. They were shocked.
    SD cards did very well failing all but one test, which the xD card survived. which was!...

... being nailed to a post. straight through the middle. The xD card could still read a bit of data, or was still recognised or something!

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I think this is what you are referring to. There's no mentioning of horrible performance in this article. All cards faired well; the SD and XD faired best in the harshest of tests.

peace | neut

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Might be a Nintendo's very own SD card....for games.

Bless

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's not exactly it. In the article I read it showed an XD card stuck on a fence with a rusty nail through it. It's close though. Maybe them guys were inspired by the BBC article?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whilst fondeling an SD card earlier *networks down :( * I sorta noticed that the Rev is shaped like a monster SD card. with that angled wedge and that. Semiotics, anyone?

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Wow. I guess I'd never thought of it quite like that.

19. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Good eye ... i hadn't noticed that. Not that i ever use SD cards anway. Pretty cool.

peace | neut