1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Any idea on how many DVD's can be burned with a PB 12" rev. B SDD before it fails?

I guess I am trying to justify buying a second Mac to do burning with.

Between my partner and I we are doing 3 DVD's a day.

I know there is AppleCare, but I do use the PB for work,so having a back-up would be advantageous, since it would be a week or so if it needed repair during the three years of AppleCare.

2. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why don't you just justify buying an external firewire burner? And if your reason is that you're using iDVD there is a hack you can apply that will allow you to burn to external firewire drives without a problem.

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, not using iDVD so far. Most is through Toast.

Do you know of any issues when using an external DVD writer when there is a FW HDD attached to the system already?

My other half is worried that we are "burning out" the DVD drive in my PB. So he was suggesting that we do a second Mac. I think that we already have too many computers :D So your thought may work out very well. Any brands to consider?

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i haven't seen any problems, except when there's heavy access on both the FWHD's while im burning a DVD... even then i've only had 2 errors.

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I guess not bad since I have about the same success rate when using the SDD and my USB 2.0 HDD or the FW 400 drives as the data source.