SE T610 and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tiauguinho, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

As promised here goes a review of the new Sony Ericsson T610 and the way it connects and works with the Mac.

First of all, the phone is awsome. The 65k colors screen is something that really makes it pleasant to use and the menu navigation is very but very easy (I come from nokia and always had been a nokia user). The construction quality is excelent and its something that amazed me, cause the phone has a very nice touch. The camera is a feature i wont use a lot and I never used any, so i cant compare it to any other phones.

Now, with the Mac connectivity. As soon as I turned on the phone the mac instantly recognized it. iSync worked great and all my contacts/calendars were synched without any problem at all. I downloaded Romeo( link: http://irowan.com/arboreal/ ) to start controling the mac with the phone and all i can say is that im trully amazed! Its fantastic to be 10 meters away of my mac and control it, iTunes, Mail, you name it! Just get some applescritps or make your own and start using it.

What I find very odd is that the feature that Steve once showed at a Macworld, that you could see who was calling you, only works when Address Book is open. I dont know why, but probably someone can explain me how I could enable it to always work.

So, I think that rating it all, I would give it a 9/10.

Any more questions or feature that you would like me to try, just ask!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I guess you could just put your address book in the startup items and tell is to hide it. Then it's always on in the background.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Re: SE T610 and Bluetooth

oooh, i forgot all about that feature, can't wait to try it when i get home. you could direct the call to voicemail if i remember rightly???
    did you set up your email on it yet?? i love being notified when i have mail in my .mac account. awesome.

do you have any good sites to download ringtones, games, wallpaper etc????

i have a couple.....

www.mobiledia.com
    www.esato.com
    www.sep800.mine.nu

4. James.Paul macrumors regular

Just ordered my T610 yesterday, hopefully, it shall be here soon and I can get rid of this Motorola brick that I have!!!

5. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Do any of you all know when it will be coming to the US?
    How much does it cost, too?

-jeff

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i was wondering how much too. i noticed att wireless doesnt have it but cant i just have them program the sim card and i can use the phone? also is this suppose to be there new best phone from SE. here is what i was looking at. I like the t68i but i do not like the p800, how does the 610 fit in with those.

also, does anyboyd have any comments they would like to shar about att wireless. i am so fed up with sprint so they can kiss my a**. GSM Towers will be ready July 1st for my area so i figured now would be a good time to get the new phones and a new service. ive heard att wireless is great.

iJon

7. bellis1 macrumors 6502

T610 Questions

How fast is the bluetooth if you use it as a modem. Does it only handle 9600. And is there anyway to increase this. Can you use your computer modem and connect the phone through a cable. It would be nice if it was faster.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

also, how is your service provider, i cant find this phone for sale anywhere, how much did you pay for it?

iJon

9. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i figured that much, and i am getting ready to switch to att, but I cant find this phone for sale anywhere, thats why I was asking.

iJon

11. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

T610 purely amazing!

I have this phone and it's amazing before it I had a nokia 6100 or 6110 I dont know and I dont really care it was a stupid stupid phone! it a had a colour display but it didn't have bluetooth!!!!! nokia make such stupid phones! this phone has three or four other cousins that are exactly the same! except for the shape and one is supposed to be heavy duty or something... my point is nokia sucks!

the T610 isn't SE's best but IMHO it's their second best, the P800 is amaizing i borrowed it from a friend, but it was too big for my taste, and I figured i'd get a tungstin T2 when they come out!

the T610 is by far the best phone i've seen! the most fully featured! the camera is only 0.9mp so it's not much but more than enough to take quick pics and send them to friends or put them in the address book.

it has nice games if you like to play, I like the mini golf game, lol and you can always get more lol, the ringtones sound amazing, I have metalica's enter sandman as my main ringtone got from http://www.mobiledia.com/

it's a great phone! if youre looking to buy a new phone then this is the one!

thank you
    MaT

12. dubweiser macrumors newbie

iJon, im in the same boat you are. Im with sprint right now, but my contract was up last month so now im on a month to month thing.

I tried ATT GSM. Straight up SUCKED. At first I got the Nokia 3650, AWESOME phone, ****ty reception, and bulky. So I returned it and got the T68i. It was OK, ddnt have all the features of the Nokia.
    The reception was still horrible. I didnt get signal in my house, or at work. And its not like my house is an underground cave, its just a normal 2 story family home.

So needless to say I took advantage of ATT's 30day return policy.

I think im gonna wait for the T610 to come out and try it out with probably TMobile. If their reception is crappy too, ill just stay with sprint and get that new T608 (my sprint reception is AWESOME.)

Hit me up on AIM if you have any questions (vdubweiser).

13. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

one tiny problem discovered... but i had this with all phones

when you are out and it's sunny, you cant see a damn thing on the screen lol! i think it's a problem with all phones with a colour screen though, i had with the sucky nokia before the T610...

thank you
    MaT

14. Tiauguinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Yep, you are right on that one. Its very difficult to see whats on the screen when you have sun light right on it. But besides that i dont see other problems with the phone.

15. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

When does this phone come out in the US anyways? I've seen it selling for 500 USD though... which seems kind of steep.

16. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

YaY!

I A AM A MAC RUMORS MEMBER NOW!!!! YAY w00t w00t! YaY!!!! you all are invited to the big party someone should and will have for me! and if there's no party it's going to be worse that a mac geek at WWDC with no 970s :mad: lol

anyway the T610 is a really really good i love it, it's the best phone i ever had battery life is good you can go two days with no charging, and I was talking to someone for about 5-6 hours with out it dying, the UI is very nice and it's very easy to use... it's just nice :D

thank you
    MaT

17. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

$500 is a good price for this phone, as it has yet to be released.

i got mine over a month ago now, and paid $650 for it, and this was from celluloco.com who were very good, very fast, and helpful too, so much so i'm gonna recommend them :)

I have mine on T-Mobile in NYC and and pleased, pretty much same reception as my old nokia 8910 or whatever it was.

only complaint about the T610, not enough memory. oh, and when you play games and use BT and receive a lot of email on it, the battery lasts for one day only. It did last all weekend at Geekfest though :D

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i did some research, it will be out in the states this year i believe with the name t616. you can still order it for various places and have it activated but the t616 will be the one you can activate along with a service and get it cheaper im assuming.

iJon

19. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yeah, the T616 uses GSM 850 as opposed to the GSM900 that the T610 (and the rest of the world uses)

the thing with waiting for your service to carry it, is it will be locked to that specific carrier, if you bought it from T-Mobile, you cannot use it on AT&T at a later date. Buy one now, a T610, spend a little more, have the wow factor before anyone else, and be able to use it on ANY GSM network. :)

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I can't afford $400-$500 for a phone though, lol... so I'm going to have to wait for the T616. :) So I guess Tmobile will be the provider to carry it? I'm not sure its me, but I've been to all the main providers websites and I only find that Cingular carries Sony Ericsson phones... least in my zip code.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

oh, and it's basically an up-to-date T68i. it fits in the range just below the P800, which is too big in my opinion, and does everything the P800 does except all the office stuff, and play movies, and have expandable RAM (boo).

the T610 works much better with the mac than the P800 too. The T68i is much slower in comparison, less colours on the screen, only has monophonic ringtones, no camera and a smaller screen....

22. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

it's hard to say, when i was looking at getting the nokia 3650 (glad i didn't get it now) T-Mobile rep knew nothing of it until they released it, which is kinda lame. i would hazard a guess that maybe T-Mob and Cingular would carry it before the others as they seem to be more clued in with the rest of the planet.

23. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    So, evoluzione, will the 610 function on the crappy networks in
    my neck of the woods (i.e. central missouri) or does it have to be
    a special type of service like T-Mobile offers (GPRS?)

--jeff

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i thought about it but i dont care about my phone that much. i went back to att today to play with the nokia 3650. dialing numbers on it wasnt a problem and it didnt fill that big in my pocket, but after holing a smaller phone it made realize how much better smaller is. what im gonna do is get the t68i and if it sucks here in my area they will let me trade it for the 3650.

iJon