Sea Lions Guard U.S. Ships

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Feb 12, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Despite having cutting-edge technology and weaponry, the United States Navy has turned to two California sea lions named Alex and Zachary to help protect its ships in Gulf waters off the coast of Bahrain.
    Naval officials said Tuesday the sea lions would be used to locate and mark divers or swimmers that could pose a threat to U.S. warships off Bahrain, headquarters of the navy's Fifth Fleet.
    The sea lions have been trained to carry a special clamp in their mouths which they can attach to a suspicious person, Commander John Wood, Special Operations Officer Naval Forces Central Command, told Reuters.
    The clamp is attached by a line to a flotation device which marks the swimmer for security personnel to apprehend him. Wood would not explain in detail how the clamp worked or what would stop a swimmer removing it.
    "They (the sea lions) are very valuable in terms of capability and they are saving lives," he said. "They can operate wherever we ask them to and are not limited to Bahrain."
    The United States is massing ships and troops in the Gulf region ahead of a possible war against Iraq.
    Wood said the animals were trained to mark people but not to kill. The mammals can dive to 1,000 feet, swim at speeds up to 25 miles per hour, as well as see and hear better under water than any human or mechanical device the military has.
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2215702
    Odd eh? I'd like to see these sea lions, how exactly do they rule a person as suspicious?
    :confused:

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Weren't Dolphin's used as minesweepers?

Lethal

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Navi Seals train dolphins in San Diego as well, for numerous jobs, mine detection and neutralization among some other things.

Very cool and pretty damn tough to circumvent. I've not heard about the sea lions, but it makes sense. No diver would be able to out maneuver a sea lion.

D

4. macfan macrumors member

Any diver in the vicinity of US ships would be quite suspicious.

5. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Loving animals the way I do, I'd probably be really naive and go, "Oooohh! Look at the pretty seal! C'mere nice seal animal!" And I'd be promptly apprehended. I guess the terrorists are glad I'm not on their side.

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

How do the terrorist divers swim with all that C4 strapped to their chests?

7. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Very carefully?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with a Sea Lion that's been trained by Navy Seals. They'd do a hit and run on you and you wouldn't have a clue what happened.

They're agility and speed would make any diver feel like a slug.

D

9. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

I'm surprised we havnt heard PETA making any noise against this, but maybe they arnt aware of it. Anyways I'd really like to see some video of these sea lions in "action" and would like to know more about these clamps that they use and how they work exactly.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, if I was PETA, that's exactly what I'd want to do, make a big fuss about something that the Navy Seals were doing.

11. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

No not Navy Seals, Navy Sea Lions...heh.